BMW Werkz banner

Problem when i changed transmission oil (manual gear) !!!! help plz

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Russian318 
#1 · (Edited)
hi

i have an e36 bmw 325i 1992 manual transmission. when i changed the oil of the gear (manual transmission). the shifting from one gear to another become very hard specially when it's cold. after i drive for 10 to 20 minutes the shifting become easier and softer. i changed the oil three times with different type. i used 85w90. i don't know where is the problem and why this is happening.

what type of oil i should use? i heard about something called ATF!! what is that "ATF"?

help me plz :(

#2 ·
atf stands for automatic transmission fluid but is used in manual transmissions as well, you'll want to use a good drexon III fluid and make sure you filled it all the way as well. Make sure your car is raised flat and level. If you stick your finger in the fill plug and angle your finger down you should feel fluid. You also don't want to use cheapo fluid. Also different fluids are going to act different in cold weather. As for the ones I've had experience with, redline was adequate in the summer, but became pretty notchy in cold weather. Royal purple and mobil 1 were pretty smooth all year round. Good luck let me know if that doesn't help.

#3 ·
thank you shahab

i live in a hot wether country (bahrain) we have 3 months wintter only (tempreture between 8 and 20 C not a real winter ggg). in summer the tempreture is (35-45 C) or more .. is it suitable to use redline ATF D4 in a hot weather??

and what did you mean "but became pretty notchy in cold weather"????!!!!

what type of redline should i use ? 75w90 70w140??? if there is a better type plz mention it??

#4 ·
redline 75w90 will work just fine so will redline atf d4, I'd use whatever is easier for you to get, I meant that i experienced your same problem when I used redline except it was during winter, and it gets much colder here in winter than in bahrain, I know, I used to live in Amman, Jordan =]

#5 ·
i've talked to some bmw mechanics in bahrain. they told me to use any automatic transmission fuel like : caltex or any other brand. one of them told me that bmw never used fuel of type 90 or 140 for manual transmission , we only use automatic transmission fuel for these gears.

so, is this correct?
can i use a good quality automatic transmission fuel like caltex??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.