BMW Werkz banner

blown head gasket from turbo!!!! help

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  darkhorse737 
#1 ·
i blew my head gasket and i am looking for the style head gasket that has metal rings around the cylanders and actually cuts into the block and the head for a seal that can handle high boost.... does anyone know where i can find this????

#2 ·
all head gaskets have the "fire ring". Cutting into the block or head actually defeats the purpose of the seal because the depression in either block or head will only provide the "extra" space for heat to accumulate.

Boost has nothing to do with a head gasket blow either. Compression too high, improper install, and overheating is what you should be worried about if the gasket blows

* I assume your turbo is aftermarket - if you keep blowing gaskets, u should actually consider lowering your compression.

#4 ·
Blown headgaskets can very, very much be related to boost. How much boost are you running? You should purchase a thicker headgasket from VAC motorsports. 0.140 thickness so that way you lower the compression in the cylinders a decent amount. Also consider purchasing stronger head studs. The general consensus is that ARP makes a fantastic head stud kit.

I haven't upgraded my headgasket at all yet, but then again I only run 7 psi. Anything above 9 psi and you should lower your cylinder compression, via headgasket or components in the block.

#7 ·
stock computer? any timing/fuel controllers at all? RRFPR, ignition retard, nothing?

theres your problem right there. youre just running way lean in boost and detonating like crazy. i bet your ring lands look like shit.

get yourself a RRFPR or better yet TCD's turbo ecu. he has a generic off the shelf 413 ecu (though with your car which is a 403 off the top of my head) im not sure if he makes one for that one.

fix all your headaches right there. stock block m50's can handle 18+psi/600+rwhp with good tuning and head studs. ive seen it done and last 10k+ miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.