BMW Werkz banner

looking at m3 vs m5

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RoadsterMadness 
#1 ·
okay im looking at e36 M3 vs e39 M5. looking to purchase a car with more performance. daily driver '85 325e and '90 525I. I have been in some reg e-36 and some 525i-540i in e-39. I just want to hear what some of you guys have to say that have driven one or both of these cars. get a little feed back. I know theres a difference in performance, coupe vs sedan and price. probably can get a 2003 M5 WITH 50-75K miles for 25-31K dollars. or a 50-75K mile 1999 M3 for 11-15K dollars. Im looking to keep these cars for another 5-10 years. minus the 5 series with over 201K miles on it now. <<<looking to part ways with her for 1500-2000 dollars. still runs great just needs work. GReat Ride!

#4 ·
M3! if it was a choice between the M3 & M5.

check the reviews though... if you are for performance, then M3; if you are looking for comfort and ride (i.e. you intend to use ur ride for a daily driver) they are saying that a regular 3 will be more pleasing esp. in and out of traffic ;-)

#6 ·
yup m5 does about 13-21MPG while the m3 gets about 19-26MPG. plus one has a full size spare tire and the other doesn't!! but ya it probably be more of the special occasion car, I am looking for more power and performance than what I have now... I have a daily driver, two actually and looking to replace one car. I do like the heavy car feel, plus it would be nice to have a 3 and a 5, as I do now, as opposed to two 3 series. I am looking to replace and upgrade the 1990 525I I have now. I do like both styles m3 and m5. I do not like the current M5, its a bad machine, but not appealing to my eyes.
could I get the M3 power up to 350 RWHP?? with 10-15 grand in upgrades and performance mods?<<while accounting for all other upgrades associated with the introduction of more power???? I guess thats the biggest question. not that the car is slow, its just 10 years old and todays power range is 300-500 HP must keep with the times!!! haha

#8 ·
I own an E36 as my daily driver, and love it to death. My only gripe is the relatively short life of my brake pads, but im sure a 5 series would have its quirks too.

To be honest, if you have the money - try to find a euro spec e36 m3. There are times when I wish my car did have more power and have considered the e39 M5. 400HP can beat most of whats on the road today, but a euro spec m3 with 321 and how light it is will beat most of them and give an M5 a run for its money as well.

Problem being, if I went with an M5 I would miss my convertible for one; and the nimbleness of my car. Its so quick around turns, its just a blast to drive. Without a doubt I would recommend to you the e36 m3

#10 ·
ya, the euro M3 would be nice or atleast upgrading the U.S spec E-36 M3 to about 300 or 350 hp. I like both styling. if i did buy the e39 m5 it would be around 20-25K. though i can get an m3 for around 12-15k. and possibly spend another 10 grand in upgrades. would that be enough or worth it for tuning upgrades and possibly some minor cosmetic upgrades if need be.
I wouldnt even touch the M5 as far as upgrades. This is my next purchase as far as cars. ive only riden in the M3 so the real comparison will come driving the a couple different cars of the two models. to get a feel for what they really have to offer. I like the nimbleness, sportiness and performance of m3 but i like the comfort and more elegant performance of the m5. so its a tough call! haha

#11 ·
The SPACE, the raw POWER, the FREAKIN HARD ON you get from just opening the engine bay and gazing into it, coupled with the very on target phrase from our compadre above - "More horsepower, its a V8, much less people have them, and they are the coolest most evil cars out there." I too have faced this question and other than the issue of getting a convertible, there is just no getting past the MIGHTY E39 ///M5! They are an engineering marvel and there is a reason they are just soo respected in the enthusiast community!

You do have to drive both and make up your own mind, but the above is my 2 cents.

MY THOUSANTH POST - FTMFW!!!!!!!! :rule

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.