BMW Werkz banner

Radio trouble with 93 525i

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  krushink 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I am new to the forum. I just bought a 1993 525i and the radio does not turn on. It is getting power because the anti-theft light is blinking and when I turn on the car lights, all the buttons on the radio light up. At first I thought it might just be the anti-theft protection but the radio manual says the display should be showing "code" calling for me to input the code. That part of the display is dark. I thought maybe the display lights might be bad and tried entering the code anyway but still no response. The previous owner said the radio worked fine until one day it just stopped working... like a fuse blew. I checked the fuse box and the radio fuse is good. Has anyone got any idea?

Also, any pointers on removing the radio would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
if it was my car this is what i would do:

disconnect battery a few hours. (that's to reset your anti-theft/alarm system into it's original state)

reconnect battery. then try putting in the code.

If it works, good on you. If it doesn't you prolly have a bad radio.

Removing the radio, I suggest you let an audio shop do that for you. it requires special tools that are not worth investing on for a 1 time job.(i.e. if yours is the Bavaria type radio... you'll need a pair of unlocking hooks; whereas if u have the Business radio- you can get by by removing the faceplate and removing the fastening screws)

#4 ·
There should be 2 fuses for the radio, one for the key power and one for the memory power. The memory one wont actually say it is for the radio. Check all your fuses, not just the one for the radio. Hope that helps...

#5 ·
Thanks,

I checked all the fuses (in the fuse box under the hood) and they all check out OK. Is there possibly an inline fuse near the radio??

I am currently trying to figure out how to get the back seat off so I can disconnect the battery. I thought removing the back seat would be simple but I am afraid of breaking something. I have a Bentley catalog on order and it should be here in a week or so.
:conf

#7 ·
Thanks,

I checked all the fuses (in the fuse box under the hood) and they all check out OK. Is there possibly an inline fuse near the radio??
If its a stock radio, then nope. Most aftermarket ones do, but factory wants you to go to the fuse panel for any problems.

#6 ·
battery is under seat for 93 model? just grab under seat around the outermost edge and lift up<<should pop up. that and battery/ code should work. otherwise radio or radio amp in trunk is bad. this happened to me when a car hit the side of trunk and the amp died. still acted as on but did not tune or pick up any frequency. took it out ended up trashing face, amp and all speakers. still have not installed any radio system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.