BMW Werkz banner

e36 coupe boot wont open

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  srsamuel 
#1 ·
i got a 320i coupe e36 up till the other day my boot opened fine now it wont. if i press the fob it doesnt unlock, and if i put the key in the lock it turns to the lerft but it wont turn to the right how am i going to get into it to sort it is there a quick fix?:emo

#2 ·
Try using a different key (if you recieved multiples from the previous owner). There is a "master" and a valet version of the key. The valet version will not unlock the trunk or the glove box. Also if you need to get something out of the trunk, on some of the coupes you can fold down the rear seats via a latch up near where the shoulder portion of the rear seat belt comes out.

#4 ·
Check your keys and make sure that they are not worn down. If one is, stop using it. Most likely what has happened is that one of the keys is worn and has worn out the lock cylinder. I am not sure how to replace the trunk lock, but if you continue to use a bad key you will be facing problems on all of your other locks and ignition.... I had to replace the iginition cylinder on my old E36 due to the same reason...or pehraps that lock just went bad. You could try putting some graphite on the key and seeing if it will turn then...

#8 ·
Having exact problem

1997 M3 - boot will not open, regardless of key position. I hear mechanism sounding like it latches and unlatches, but pressing the trunk release doesn't appear to "catch" on anything. Incidentally, I never ever used the key to lock/unlock the boot. It just failed all of a sudden a couple of days ago. I will try the screwdriver trick next, but if that fails, anyone has other ideas - could it be a blown fuse?

Internaut

#9 ·
i sorted mine now wouldnt open with the key or fob what i did was drop the back seats unclip the carpet on the back of the boot lid reach in and you will see a rod going down to the lock just pull that up and it will release the boot then you can examine closer with the boot open

#10 · (Edited)
Found problem - can someone identify part?

Got the boot finally open from the inside - tracked the problem to a disconnected latch release - seems like the metal rod has become detached from the plastic collar holding it to the release mechanism (see picture). When I attempt to reinsert it, the rod refuses to stay in place. I'm not sure if something else is missing like a plastic interlock or some such.

I can probably fashion a temporary fix but would someone identify the part so that I can order a replacement?

Thanks!

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.