BMW Werkz banner

1994 540i shaking/vibrating at certain speeds

14K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  olly 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
A friend of mine just bought this 94 540i everything about the car is great except that at 40-60 it shakes and vibrates. Just had an alignment done any clues as to what would cause this? Thanks for any help

#8 ·
Vibration is also caused by changing your rims to an after market ones which has a wider hub than your original rims. Usually the car shakes between 50-60 mph but mostly shakes and vibrates at 55 mph. I have 1994 BMW 540I and a 2000 Mercedes 430, the BMW shaked violently after changing the rims, I was told about this hub rings and did bought that and placed it. The shacking and vibration resolved only that once in a while you fill it. I finally got tired of the sporty looks and the rough ride of 235/45/17, so yesterday I put the original rims back with 225/60/15, now I am enjoying the comfort again.

I bought this 2000 Mercy in December, when I test drive it I was within the city so I was going slow and did not felt the vibration because I was only going about 35 mph. Soon as I took it home and has paid and signed the papers I was feeling the shacking and vibration, I was disappointed. I took the car to a tire shop, had the wheels balanced and alligned and it was still the same. The car has a 19" Lorinzer rims with Continental 260/40/19 tires and there it was, the hub of the rims is too wide, basically, the log nuts was the only one holding the rims in place. I then realized that reason the owner had the car in the garaged for 10 months and only had 57,000 miles, complete Lorinzer body kit is because of the shaking and vibration. I ordered a hub ring and got a thick one. I took it to a machine shop and cut it for me .After said and done, the car is running smooth.

cell

#12 ·
97 540i Exact same symptoms

Same thing here. I am about to put my car up for sale and have a thing about selling a car with problems... My car does the same thing except at 45-50 mph it shakes when cold. The car also shimmies at exactly 45 mph when the brake is applied. If it is a "thrust bushing" worn out, how much to repair it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.