BMW Werkz banner

Tuning Up a diesel engine

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  german-speed-demon 
#1 ·
hey guys,
I'm brandnew overhere and I'm not (yet) a BMW driver so i don't know so much about the car that's why i have some questions. I'm also in the tractorpulling bussines so i've got some experience with diesels.
I meaby want to build a soupped up bmw diesel but i cant find any information what so ever on the dutch forumsites of bmw. I don't know if one of you guys have some information on what i better can not do with the engine and what i could do. And which car with what kind of engine i could better buy (if the e30 has different engines..)
I wan't to make the engine as much bullitproof as possible. Thinks i have in mind is to lose the gasket and machine some fireproof rings in the head, bigger turbo, meaby Bosch A pomp, modified injectors, different gearbox if the standard one is to weak. I'm would like to get 250-300hp if the engine would let this. Thinks i don't know is how the engine is build up is it strong, does it hold a lot of torque, how's the crank? how are the heads?
Thanks for the information

By the way, i'm dutch my self so i'm sorry if my english is bad.
Greetings,
Meindert

See less See more
#2 ·
hey whats up Meindert...ummm for the most part BMW didn't really import many diesels to the states, however they did have a contract with Lincoln/Ford Motor Company to supply the i-6 diesel for use in the Lincoln Continentals, back in 84-85, and that was the m21, a 2.4 liter used also in the...

Compliment of Wikipedia...
1986-1992 E28 524d/524td
1987-1993 E30 324d/324td
1987-1992 E34 524td
Again, greetings and welcome!

#3 ·
hey,
I see that on this site there are more people of the otherside of the ocean.. I know that there aren't much diesel's. On the sites in Germany and Holland i can't get much information. The can only give me information if you want to chiptune your car, but you can't find anything about really tuning a diesel.
But thanks for the information, If anybody could give me more information I would like it.

Greetings
Meindert

#4 ·
Depending on the year of your motor, you can usually get a boost in power thru an adjustable fuel pump and regulator. Also you can experiment with different head/block combinations. I an alot more knowledgeable on the american diesels than european, so thats all i can really offer at this time.

Dave

#5 ·
hey dave,
thanks anyway! all the information is welcome!
Well i have in my mind to get a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, meaby tune up the diesel rotor pump or get a in line pump if there's room for it. I want to lose my head gasket and machine flameproof rings in there and o rings for the oil and water circuit. We have this also on our tractorpull tractor and it is bulletproof (verry pricy do!) But before i'm going to make the next step (buying a car) i want to have as much information as possible because its gonna cost me a lot of money and i want to do it good the first time.

greetings.
Meindert

#6 ·
I don't know the width of the cylinder walls on the m21, but if they are stout enought to withstand it, you can get machined pistons, steel rods, and go with an M & W Turbo, perhaps off of a Case Tractor. ( We have one on a 6.5 Diesel V8:D) That with a wastegate set at around 17 psi, (safe for a diesel) and in intercooler, there will be a VERY noticeable difference.

-Dave

#7 ·
hey dave,
well i don't know that either. Meaby i could machine new cilinderbushes in there, but that's gonna be pricy. Friend of mine has a brandnew Holset HX50 with the thick turbine axle laying ready for me. So i would really like to use that one first. I haven't found out where exectly the engines breaks down. The guys who i spoked to sad that they have opened the pump. but the can't remember how high the milage was. Because it does make a difference if you have an engine that already runned like 200.000 miles or one that has runned 10.000 miles before you supped it up.
The reason why i would like to know these stuff is because i'm on the breaking point for driving petrol so it should be cheaper to drive a diesel car. But i've just finished rebuilding my car his engine so i'm not going to sell that one in a rush. But when i buy a diesel (i really hope a BMW E30 is strong enough for my plans) than i keep it stock for a while so i can drive it and save some money first and than i would love to rebuild the engine. So thats why i want to know how strong the engines are now, before i buy one and hear al kind of stories of broken engine parts etc. etc.

greetings,
Meindert

#8 ·
Dave,
I have got some information about the engines. A 24td is based on the old M20 engine. And is not strong enough to handle the power. They say the head is one of his weakest points. The 25tds engine is bassed on the later m50 engine and has a better head and has a little bigger bore and less stroke. But the say that the crank is stronger to. So I'll probely going to buy a E30 BMW and put a 25tds engine in there.
I will think about it al because i want to buy one in about 6 months. I will open a Topic about my project than so you guys can follow it.

Thanks for everything and if somebody has more information please let me know!

bye

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.