BMW Werkz banner

Newbie, BMW or Porsche?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I know they are not in the same ballpark, but for my next car I am considering a 335 convertible or a Porsche Cayman. I am looking for something to either replace my G35 sedan or my 06 MX-5 and was curious about ownership expenses and reliability.

thanks for your time

Roland

#2 ·
RolandG said:
Hello everyone,

I know they are not in the same ballpark, but for my next car I am considering a 335 convertible or a Porsche Cayman. I am looking for something to either replace my G35 sedan or my 06 MX-5 and was curious about ownership expenses and reliability.

thanks for your time

Roland
Well let me say i'm not a porsche expert, but I'm pretty sure that porsche's are more expensive than even bmw as far as maintenance. As long as you take care of the car they should be fairly even as far as reliability. But here you go.

porsche

Manual Tiptronic S
Engine Layout Mid-engine Engine Layout Mid-engine
Displacement 3.4 l Displacement 3.4 l
Horsepower 295 hp Horsepower 295 hp @ rpm 6,250
@ rpm 6,250 251 lb.-ft. @ rpm 4,400 - 6,000
Torque 251 lb.-ft. Compression ratio 11.1 : 1
@ rpm 4,400 - 6,000 Top Track Speed 166 mph
Compression ratio 11.1 : 1 0-60 mph 5.8 s 0-60 mph 5.1 s MSRP $ 62,310 Top Track Speed 171 mph
MSRP $ 59,100.00

Bmw 335i Convertible

Weight
Unladen 3946 (3957) lbs

Weight distribution, front/rear - Manual transmission 51.2/48.8 %

Weight distribution, front/rear - Automatic transmission 51.4/48.6 %

Engine
Liter/type/valves per cylinder Turbocharged 3.0/inline 6/4

Bore/stroke 3.31/3.53 inch

Nominal output/rpm 300/5800 hp

Max. torque/rpm 300/1400-5000 lb-ft

Compression ratio 10.2 :1

Fuel grade unleaded premium

Transmission
Manual gear ratios - I/II 4.06/2.40 :1

Manual gear ratios - III/IV 1.58/1.19 :1

Manual gear ratios - V/VI/R 1.00/0.87/3.68 :1

Final drive ratio 3.08 :1

Automatic gear ratio - I/II 4.17/2.34 :1

Automatic gear ratio - III/IV 1.52/1.14 :1

Automatic gear ratio - V/VI/R 0.87/0.69/3.40 :1

Final drive ratio 3.46 :1

Performance
Drag coefficient 0.31 Cd

Top speed 130 [150] mph

Acceleration 0-60 mph - Manual transmission 5.5 sec

Acceleration 0-60 mph - Automatic transmission 5.7 sec

Fuel consumption
Manual transmission – city/highway 3 TBD/TBD mpg

Automatic transmission – city/highway 3 TBD/TBD mpg

Tires and wheels
Tire dimensions 225/45R-17 standard

Wheel dimensions 17 x 8.0 standard

Material Light-alloy standard

Brakes
Front - Diameter 13.7 inch

Rear - Diameter 13.2 inch

#3 · (Edited)
Go for the 335. yeah this is a bmw site but i looked at the caymans and have seen them in action. New porsches alway start leaking oil ust so you know the guy i got my e38 off had one and it is leaking like a siv. great car but reliability is low on them just so you know. i would go with the 335 for MPG, Power, and handling they are wonderful cars the guy next door loves his im saying LOVES.You should get a color black is sweet silver is common get like green blue white something different. if your getting a new car you should get what you want this is just my sug. both are kick ass car. i just prefer the 335 :rule late

#5 ·
imo... it really depends on what you want. both scream classy. both scream in a straight line. Both hug the curves like Bill Clinton.... Um. both have Badges and both say something about the driver. My motto is. People already think i'm a prick because i drive a BMW... Might as well earn it!

But all jokes aside. i've always been a porsche fan. i say go for the cayman. but the 335 seats four relatively comfortsbly

#6 ·
dannyb said:
^ this coming from a guy who puts mom and dad in the same thread ... Drive both, see which one you like best and go for that. BMW will probably be cheaper in price.

That being said, welcome to the werkz!
................... me or joshsanders82 if me then WTF??? if him.....ok

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the honest and helpful opinions. I really am a fan of the bronze color for the 335(I have not seen it in person yet though) and why not have two convertibles in the same garage!
I really do like my MX-5, it is not an HP monster but it is quick and nimble and the top comes down in less than 5 seconds.

I can get the 328 convertible for much less, anyone think that is a bad idea?

#8 ·
RolandG said:
You'll miss the powAr.

#9 · (Edited)
your very accurate in saying that they are two completely different animals. I've owned both Porsches and BMWs and while i haven't owned either of these cars...my next door neighbor has a 335 vert and my boss has a cayman...i've driven both and know the cars well....that said, the only thing comparable is build quality. both cars are highly engineered and near perfectly built in regards to overall fit and finish. from there, they go in different directions....

the 335 is a great GT. definitely a car that rewards the driver be it on a quick trip to the store or an all-day road trip. quite comfortable, but one with a sporty enough personality that you can push it pretty far with little worry. as with any contemporary German car, maintenance isn't cheap or infrequent, but comparing the two, this is a much cheaper car to own, much less purchase. as for a 328, it's a great car...but nothing close to the latter. one romp in a 335 and you won't even think about the 328

the Porsche Cayman is pure driving delight. would i wanna drive it 500mi in a day definitely not (well, maybe on a track). would i want to drive it everyday...you bet your life. while it's not quite the memorable driving experience of a 911, it's not nearly as demmanding or raw. the Cayman is quite honestly one of the best cars Porsche has ever made in regards to building a car that appeals to the largest number of people.

of course, these are my words, a guy that has owned and loved cars from both manufacturers....but my take and my take alone. your best bet is to spend some time with each car and make a list of what you need from either.

lemme know if i can help you out further....oh, and by the way :welcome to Bimmerwerkz!

#10 ·
Color Fade M-Tech E30 said:

hey man what the hell? that's not nice.;)

#11 ·
RolandG said:
OK - here's my 2 cents, and I note you've gotten some excellent substantively valuable comments in this thread. I am a convertible guy, and the 328i is the first Bimmer with the long sought hard top convertible, very popular, etc. That said, I OWN an all wheel drive 2007 328xi sedan (for teh wife). It hauls ass compared to the 325i of only a year earlier (50 more hp) and is surprisingly quick and is on rails in an all wheel drive. That said, the difference from the 335i (stock twin turbo, 300 ft/lbs of torque) which has been one of the most talked about cars of the year, is astounding - and the prices are not THAT different. Great feedback and modding possibilities for the 335 too (like changing out the twin cigarette pack sized turbos in there for one big fat monster turbo, etc). M3UOND has a story thread where a 335 came sniffing and raced his Mighty Dinan 5 Supercharged E39 and, while the outcome was predictable and inevitable, our Werkzian brother was quite inmpressed with the power and speed of the 335. I would extend the bit more for the 335 (even would've for my wife, had there not been an extra 45-60 day wait and she needed a car for work and didn't need that power).

Both cars are a leap up from the Mazda and Infiniti.

Go get yourself a great car, sounds like you can;t choose wrong! Hope this was helpful.

#12 ·
RoadsterMadness said:
sounds like you can;t choose wrong!
Can I get an Amen!

#16 ·
joshsanders82 said:
it's just the issue is between you and him if he ment it towards you sry ;)
hope you when for the 335i but the 328 hardtop convt. would have been cool.

#18 ·
AlpineSixAndSeven said:
joshsanders82 said:
AlpineSixAndSeven said:
it's just the issue is between you and him if he ment it towards you sry ;)

hope you when for the 335i but the 328 hardtop convt. would have been cool.
understand now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.