BMW Werkz banner

recomended maintenance schedule?

84K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dlgdon@charter.net 
#1 ·
hi, this may sound like a dumb question, but where can I find the recomended service and maintenance schedule for a 06 325xi? I have all the manuals, but none of them have a list saying "do this at x miles, do this at y". does anyone know where I can find this?

thanks for answering what is I am sure a silly quesion

#3 ·
Change your oil and oil filter with full synthetic every 5,000 miles.

Change your transmission and differential fluid every 30,000 miles, even if it says "lifetime" fluid---trust me, there's no such thing.

Change your brake fluid, power steering fluid, fuel filter, spark plugs, and coolant once a year or once every 30000 miles, whichever comes first.

Change your air filter, cabin filters, etc every 10000 miles.

Yes, this is probably more replacing than you absolutely need to do--but you bought a BMW, so take care of the damn thing.

#4 ·
Thanks, I appreciate your help.
The reason I was asking was I just purchased a certified pre owned 06 325xi. As part of the deal, they are including the no-maintenance until 50,000 miles. They said, however, that I could upgrade it to 100,000 no maintenance, but I don't have a list of what has to be done when to determine whether it is a good deal or not. When does the timing belt have to be replaced? rear brakes? fan belt? etc.
and, ballpark, what would you pay upfront to not have to worry about any maintenance for 100,000 miles? and what do you think ballpark the maintenance would cost?
thanks for everyones help

#5 ·
I couldn't give you even ballpark figures for that maintenance schedule. However, I will tell you that the maintenance covered by BMW's warranties still leaves holes for you to take care of. They will not change your oild every 5,000 miles -- they will wait about 10,000; they will probably not change your transmission or differential fluid ever; and so forth and so on. By the way, your car does not have a timing belt -- it has a timing chain that does not need to be replaced.

I will tell you one thing, though: if you're planning on getting all your maintenance done at the dealership anyways (which I wouldn't recommend -- I think quality service is available from independent shops for less money), then you will save money by paying the $3,000- $5,000 that they will surely charge you right now.

#6 ·
Drz +1

#10 ·
Something does not sound right here. You mentioned they were throwing in 50,000 maintenance agreement on the vehicle. Most dealers will extend to 100,000 on certified BMW purchases. I think if this isn't the case then you are either getting a helluva price on the car or getting ripped off.

At any rate $1,800 is too much for just the 50,000 beyond what they are throwing . It should be more like $1,000 to $1,200 at the most. I don't know where you are located but I'd look around a bit more before springing for that deal . . .

#8 ·
andyo said:
so is $1800 a good deal to kick out maintenance to 100,000?
I would say so...if nothing else for the Inspection I and II services, which usually run something like $900 and are required every 20000 miles.

#11 ·
i would use caution before i sign up for the 100,000 thing.

NOTE: they use the word "maintainance". The catch is... any break downs or repairs done on your car won't be covered!

In effect, what "maintainance" includes is nothing but oil changes, filter changes at the given intervals... plugs and oxygen sensors per manufacturer's specs need to be changed at the 100,000 mark. and they won't even change tranny oil/filter for the reason that they claim is lifetime.(I agree with Teh Prof- no such thing as lifetime oil...)

Seriously.... $1,800 will in effect be the price of 10 oil changes. Ask yourself if that is worth paying for. :)

#12 ·
Like I said earlier - this doesn't sound right. Extended maintenance (we purchased for $999.00 a year ago.) Shouldn't cost that much. You are only purchasing 50,000 (remember the first 50,000 they promised you.) You keep saying 100,000 but 50,000 of that is on them. AND I believe it's 4 years so the other fly is how many miles you drive. If you're not anticipating keeping the auto or driving 100,000 then all of this is a moot point.

BUT having said that you'd still prob get your money back. Remember Oil changes around $200 and brakes all around is +$1000. I agree with above poster. ALL you get is maintenance as called for in the maintenance schedule. Any other breakdowns mechanical is either under the first 50,000 warrantee agreement or on your tab.

You purchased an expensive car to maintain. If you're mechanically inclined or have a local shop who can do the work cheaper (out of warrantee of course) then by all means enjoy your BMW, it will bring many years of enjoyment. Just break that umbilical cord to BMW service as soon as you can. They always ask to you 'bend over' just before servicing . . . (heehee) :D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.