BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com - View Single Post - Looking for VF Engineering failure stories
View Single Post
#8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 AM
nukeduster
Pandemonium Director

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Thats a VERY common failure.. and why we stopped carrying vortech vq blowers after being a distributor for them for 2 years when I worked at the caddy/hummer dealership.

The bearings fail frequently and as a result the impellers have too much play and hit the housing and do exactly that.

Ontop of that very common failure, they usually would make me pay for the repair almost always claiming foreign matter was introduced to the unit and caused the damage.

In those 2 years, there was at least a 50% failure rate on all units we sold.

Even if they dont fail, after 15-30k miles they start getting pretty noisy, which was the first sign they were about to go.. started rattling, etc, like there was marbles inside the blower.

I NEVER saw one with over 60k miles on it that wasnt rebuilt at least once.

My room mates on his 98 m3 did the same thing after 12k miles.. killed his engine completely. block, head, nothing was saveable.

Caveat Emptor.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome