BMW Werkz banner

Squeeky Clutch

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bimmerguy82 
#1 ·
I only started driving standard about a month ago when I bought my 328is. Last night I was screwing around with a buddy on the street and we got in a little bit of a race. I think I was riding the clutch because when I was gassing it was going but not nearly as much as usual it was just revving up to very high rpm in every gear. When I realized this I stopped and there was smoke coming from I guess the front wheel wheel or at least thats the only place i could see it coming from as I was sitting in the car. It smelt like crap after too and popped the hood open. I don't think a noticeable amount of smoke came out from under the hood but it smelt pretty bad. Now my clutch squeeks when the car is off and even when its on at idle, it might squeek the rest of the time when im driving but its not loud enough to hear it over the engine. Also I have to release the clutch much more now for it to actually catch on and speed up. Also it seems lighter to press now altough not a whole lot lighter. My clutch was very hard to begin with i've never driven a car with a clutch as hard as mine it was like a leg work out to press it.What is the extent of the damage I have caused to the clutch? Thank you in advance

#3 ·
How much will the flywheel and clutch kit cost me? something similar to stock and something performance if possible so i could make my decision according to the amount of money needed. Also please post if there are any second opinions, not to be offensive I just want to make sure that is what actually happened! Thanks

#4 ·
Stock twin-mass flywheel for an M52 is $978 list, clutch kit is $336.50 list. When replacing the flywheel make sure the new one comes with new bolts, also get a new pilot bearing and clutch arm pivot because those normaly don't come in an OE clutch kit. While the transmission is out it would be a good time to replace the flex disc if it is cracked, reseal the transmission and install a short shift kit. Labor time to change a flywheel and clutch is about 6-7 hours, add another 1.5-2 hours if you want to reseal the trans and install the SSK at the same time. Also the exhaust has to be removed to get the transmission out so this would alos be a good time to get a cat-back installed.

#8 ·
Luckily this thing didn't happen to me :). bimmer parts are expensive so you really have to baby her. But I don't see my vehicle as BMW; I see it as a car; if you know what I mean. Well I remember I cooked my brother's clutch on his 93 prelude. I'm glad I experience that before getting my e36. I suggest looking around especially only for the prices. I get my parts either from autopartsway.com or pelicanparts.com they have pretty good prices. Good luck; Keep us posted if you can. I wanna hear how your clutch replacement goes on. Thanks.

#10 · (Edited)
showing products for 1996 328is.

Bavarian Auto

(Click for a larger image)
For a quicker BMW, replace your stock flywheel with a lightweight aluminum flywheel. Its reduced rotational mass allows faster acceleration and quicker deceleration, letting you match revs a lot sooner. On average, these flywheels are 15 lb. lighter than stock. We offer them as a complete kit that includes a 6061 T6 aluminum flywheel, 1050 steel friction plate and ring gear, stepped dowel pins and military-spec fasteners.
This kit includes the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing.

Part Number Description Price Qty.
195321 KIT1 Aluminum Flywheel/Clutch Kit
$799.95

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.