BMW Werkz banner

Z3 And 525i

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dahrich 
#1 ·
Hello:
I just changed the front pads on my 97 Z3 and I noticed a "sensor?" line connected to the drivers side pad. Can anyone tell me what this is for?

Also, I have a 01 525i and have nothing but trouble with the drivers seat memory function. It malfunctions all the time by moving to the wrong position when not asked to do so. This does not occur while driving, thank goodness, but is very frustrating. The dealer says they can't find anything wrong and at one time said the seat should be moved only under certain specific conditions.
I was wondering if many other 525i owners were experiencing the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Richard

#3 ·
Originally posted by ///Matt@Oct 12 2004, 02:18 PM
The sensor you're talking about it the pad wear sensor for the car. It detects when the brake pad is wearing down to a replacement level. You can get new ones very cheap from your dealer....usually no more than $20.
[snapback]209965[/snapback]​
Hello Matt: that's what I thought it was but it wasn't obvious how it worked. Do you know how it works?

Regards,
Richard

#5 ·
Originally posted by ///Matt@Oct 14 2004, 07:57 AM
I think it is triggered by temperature, but that's just an educated guess...
[snapback]210976[/snapback]​
Hello Matt:
You may be right. There was what seemed to be a copper strip inside the end of the sensor and it might be a thermocouple of some sort.
Thanks for your comments.
Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.