1st Gear Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
|5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)|
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
| || |
| Originally posted by ksz@Apr 15 2004, 01:33 AM |
I learned to drive a stick shift more than 10 years ago when I got my first car after graduation. My dealer provided the lesson, and the driving habits I picked up then have remained. After several years of driving automatics I have a stick shift again. Here are the procedures I was taught:
1. When braking, push the clutch. Do you always do this? In rush hour slow-and-go as well as stop-and-go traffic, this can tire out the calf muscles in the left leg.
2. For emergency braking, just hit the brakes, but before the car comes to a stop, push the clutch. Will the engine stall otherwise?
3. When letting the car coast towards a stop sign or red light, it doesn't matter whether you engage the clutch or leave it out as long as you engage the clutch before the car comes to a stop. Again, will it stall otherwise?
4. On downslopes, keep downshifting as necessary to avoid excess wear and overheating of the brakes.
5. When stopped on an incline and about to get moving, use the handbrake to prevent sliding down while you release your right foot from the brake.
Do you drive differently?
| Originally posted by Furious@Apr 15 2004, 11:58 AM |
it seems like your a bit unsure of your driving abilities, if i were you id take some self practice lessons in a parking lot and/or a road with a nice hill on it. driving stick is quite easy once you learn the car.
| Originally posted by playboy@Apr 15 2004, 05:46 PM |
yah but leaving it engaged can damage your gearing if someone hits your car while its engaged.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Stick Shift Problem, Transmission||ilDawg||M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)||0||09-16-2005 09:10 PM|
|Stick Shift Or Automatic||kingnader||3-Series (E46, E90)||15||03-18-2005 06:29 PM|
|Loose Stick||shield||3-Series (E21, E30)||6||09-02-2004 06:34 PM|
|Does stick shift raise insurance rates?||MReiter||Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk||1||10-14-2003 05:57 PM|