Your Opinons Please... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sancho2980 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been a Mustang guy for the past 10 plus years. Mustangs have been pretty much all I've owned. I'm now selling my 98 Mustang Cobra, and thinking of getting a 96-98 5 series. My only concerns is the one's I've seen have pretty high mileage. I know must domestic motors after 100k they start to fall apart. How good/reliable are these engines? What are some problems that they're known to have...if any?
I don't have much knowledge on the Beemer, and would like to learn as much as possible before purchasing. ANY advice you might have would be of great help. Thanks!
sancho2980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
That would be the difference between a domestic and a german vehicle...right now I have a 325is 1995 with almost 130,000mi on it and it still runs like it was brand new...the car has a full service history (which is the most important thing to ANY car...because if you dont take care of your car it won't last long at all!) The E39 (the 5 series MY you are looking at buying) were great cars...I'd be happy to lend you any knowledge I have to help with your decision...Contact me here any time.

Good Luck
Old 10-22-2004, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sancho2980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your response. And I think I'll be taking you up on your offer. =0) and thanks for that!
I've been looking day in and day out at autotrader.com Looking at the deals they may have. I've found quite a few for great deals, or so it seems. Mileage that must of these cars have are anywhere from 70-140k. What would you thik is too high mileage for these motors? I would hate to get one and have the tranny or worse yet engine blow on me. How long do these engines usually last? I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping this car but I'd say at LEAST 5 years. Do you think one with say 100k on it would last me that long? If it's probably maintained of course.
Anything you might think of that might help me in deciding what model to get would be of great help. Thanks again and hope to read from you sometime soon!
sancho2980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
first major thing u need to know is that:

a BMW that is a car is a BIMMER
a BMW that is a motorcycle is a beemer/beamer.

haha lol, well, ^ that is true though

many people here on these forums have bmws that have over 200 thousand on them, if u are 150k, dont worry about it, as long as the engine sounds nice and there is no oil leaking, or burning, or on the valve cover gasket..(which u will notice if there is.. if the engine is dirty from the top.. or even the bottom) .. anyway if none of those things apply, dont worry
xsperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)