Wow, What Is Happening With My Car - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dberger is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Today I walked out to my car and the tail lights were flashing as if the alarm was set but no sound. When I got closer to the car the flashing stopped without doing anything. I set my alarn from the keychain. Has this ever happened to anyone and if so what is it? another stupid BMW electrical problem, I swear the germans are good at engines but suck at electronics. Please help.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Dberger

Cann't you give something easier than that...LOL...this is a tough one but I am going to try it out:

A. This problem resembles an alarm going off-- before you have got to your car--that is to say, you reached the car after the fact...after the chain of events took place. Makes sense?

B. If not then I am thinking about a defective switch at your doors/trunk.
May be a failing battery in cold weather triggered the alarm etc.

C. Last we posted many threads about the infamous bad ignition switch and what it does in compounding upredictable electrical problems.

Whatever the case may be, let us know.

regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:04 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Dberger,

There is also a possibility that the siren is going bad.... You will not hear any sound but the lights will flash. I know this from experience. My siren went out a few weeks ago and took the car to the dealer. It turned out it was a bad siren, it needs to be replaced!
$120 plus installation.

LOS
#4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Feb 1 2005, 05:04 PM
Dberger,

There is also a possibility that the siren is going bad.... You will not hear any sound but the lights will flash. I know this from experience. My siren went out a few weeks ago and took the car to the dealer. It turned out it was a bad siren, it needs to be replaced!
$120 plus installation.

LOS
[snapback]284270[/snapback]
If the siren is bad, would I still get the noise when locking and unlocking? I hate that stupid sound when unlocking the car.

Dan
#5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had something close to this - they replaced the alarm siren unit and everything works fine now. In my case the alarm would go off every time i pressed any button on the key. (either the alarm and lights, or just lights)
#6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Feb 1 2005, 07:04 PM
Dberger,

$120 plus installation.

LOS
[snapback]284270[/snapback]
Um... you got ripped off. To buy new horns + the switch and all the wiring it wont cost more than 50... and you can install it yourself in half an hour...

#7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:51 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
I never said I had it replaced!!

LOS
#8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
ok, it happened again today. Alarm went off by itself then went into just flashing lights with no audio. My trunk switch/actuator does not work, could that be the cause or maybe ignition switch causing this? (electrical problem?) Wow, I need to get to the bottom of this........

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)