Wobble At 50-60 Mph - "cupped" Tires? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 11:33 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
batta is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
my 02 530i sport was taken in to the local bmw dealer for a balance & alignment because it was pulling a bit to the left.
When I picked it up, they said they had to rotate the tires as well and I would get a wobble between 50-60mph that will eventually wear out. ok, this made sense to me because of the rotation i guess. They balanced it out, placing various little metal blocks on the rim part of the wheel.
months and many miles went by and the wobble remained (accelerating and braking through 50-60mph). I took it back in and they told me my tires were "cupped". The Dunlop P235/45ZR17 are relativly new with plenty of tread.
Why did I not have this issue before I originally brought it in?
How common is this and what causes it?

Any input appreciated.

Mike

[COLOR=blue]2002 530i Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 05:17 AM
n00b

Murphyslaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mike,

Don't know if this is the same as your problem but it sounds very similar. Do you find the steering wheel shakes viscously through that speed zone when braking?

I have the same problem with my 540. Some people have suggested as the engine is so heavy that it could be the lower control arm bushes, they tend to wear rather quickly on my car (apparantly). I have had other issues with the cars reliability until recently so have not looked into getting this resolved, however I have been told you can put upgraded bushes in place which should wear better and last longer.

Let me know how you get on and I will report back when I get mine changed (sooner rather than later I hope)

All the best

Iain
#3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 08:01 AM
n00b

batta is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Iain.

Yes, the wheel does shake through that speed zone. The car has only 38k miles on it, so it would suprise me if something like that wore out...and my engine is not nearly as heavy as your 8, but I guess if the bushing are bad it wont matter. I did a serach on news groups for "cupped wheels" and found an enormous amount of posts with similar descriptions. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by Murphyslaw@Nov 9 2004, 05:17 AM
Hi Mike,

Don't know if this is the same as your problem but it sounds very similar. Do you find the steering wheel shakes viscously through that speed zone when braking?

I have the same problem with my 540. Some people have suggested as the engine is so heavy that it could be the lower control arm bushes, they tend to wear rather quickly on my car (apparantly). I have had other issues with the cars reliability until recently so have not looked into getting this resolved, however I have been told you can put upgraded bushes in place which should wear better and last longer.

Let me know how you get on and I will report back when I get mine changed (sooner rather than later I hope)

All the best

Iain
[snapback]227306[/snapback]

[COLOR=blue]2002 530i Sport
#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:37 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
If your tires are cupped, meaning it wears on the center of the tire...
you need to put more psi on them. This happens usually with soft compound high performance tires. If the pressure is low, when the tires warm up, the tire expands and this causes the center to bulge, hence having more contact on the road surface. Now, when the car is parked, the tires cool down and the center contracts back to its original position. So it looks cupped...and you wonder if it's cupped, how did the wear occur???

Put more air pressure in the tires, that way when the rubber gets warm and expand, the higher air pressure will "hold" the shape of the tire better, thus maintaining a flatter contact with the road surface.

Manufacturer's recommended psi is probably only good for regular tires. Mine says 31 front and 35 rear...My mechanic recommends 33 front and 41 rear. It would mean a harder ride over rough surfaces.
I am still experimenting this on my new tires...so I have yet to see if my mechanic's theory is correct. Oh by the way...my last set of tires were all cupped...Yokohama AVS ES100...very soft and noisy tires...HORRIBLE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)