Wiper Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 08:36 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
105547111 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Okay this is strange. The wipers only work 100% of the time if I select high speed. But they are not high just normal.

If I select the single wipe, or intermittent or normal speed, they are unreliable. Sometimes it works properly. But the wipers may stop in the middle of a wipe, start and stop and shudder or not just move and then suddendly move themselves.

I don't have a wiring book, but my 'guess' is the wiper motor has two windings, one for normal, a second one for added speed for high. I think the normal part has a bad connection.

I am guessing its the motor (the plug is fine, removed, checked and reinserted).

Anyone had this or knows?

Thanks!
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
sounds like a motor however when you say " Okay this is strange. The wipers only work 100% of the time if I select high speed. But they are not high just normal." this is very normal even when you select high speed your wipers will NOT go on high speed until the car starts rolling.....you will notice this when you stop at a red light while wipers on High speed..they do switch themselves back to normal..... good luck

regards
Billb
#3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 10:30 PM
n00b

bgwoody is an unknown quantity at this point
Check for a bad ground wire before replacing a motor
#4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 10:53 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
"..........the plug is fine, removed, checked and reinserted......."
#5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 02:39 AM
n00b

105547111 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Guys,

Okay I found the problem., The motor has 4 wires connected. There was a ground and power. However as I did not have wiring info, I pulled the motor.

Then I knew what wire did what.

Found that on manual once wipe, intermittent or low speed the 12v signal was sometimes there and not. Once I went to full speed and back to normal, the 12v was stable.

This led me to the wiper module relay (the long relay in the power box). I pulled it heard a rattle.

Opened it carefully to find on one of the relays, the return spring holding the armature, the looped end was broken.

I carefully bent up a new end and reassembled it.

All works perfectly!

Incidently the fast speed does work just in accessories position.

So not a wasted excersise as when I had the motor out gave him a clean up

Cheers,

David
#6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by 105547111@May 14 2005, 02:39 AM
Guys,

Okay I found the problem., The motor has 4 wires connected. There was a ground and power. However as I did not have wiring info, I pulled the motor.

Then I knew what wire did what.

Found that on manual once wipe, intermittent or low speed the 12v signal was sometimes there and not. Once I went to full speed and back to normal, the 12v was stable.

This led me to the wiper module relay (the long relay in the power box). I pulled it heard a rattle.

Opened it carefully to find on one of the relays, the return spring holding the armature, the looped end was broken.

I carefully bent up a new end and reassembled it.

All works perfectly!

Incidently the fast speed does work just in accessories position.

So not a wasted excersise as when I had the motor out gave him a clean up

Cheers,

David
[snapback]344408[/snapback]
David -

Just FWIW, i recently replaced my wiper relay and the part was under $15 at the dealer and they had them in stock. Pretty painless, so the next time your relay acts up, you may just want to pitch it and get a new one.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)