windshield wipers not working - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Car:
Posts: 3
Photos:
darkcloud520 is on a distinguished road
windshield wipers not working

purchased 2001 525i april 2011 .problems abound.had tranny fixed .during process independent mech said wipers do not work. INFORMED ME F1 STUCK ON PREVENTING F4 from working.Does not not know color of wire??? :MY reasearch indicates BEIGE !!! Checked motor OK.Will squirt fluid but will not engage motor to allow wipers to work.Stealer next option.waaaa! any help appreciated!!!
darkcloud520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Car:
Posts: 3
Photos:
U170who is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud520 View Post
purchased 2001 525i april 2011 .problems abound.had tranny fixed .during process independent mech said wipers do not work. INFORMED ME F1 STUCK ON PREVENTING F4 from working.Does not not know color of wire??? :MY reasearch indicates BEIGE !!! Checked motor OK.Will squirt fluid but will not engage motor to allow wipers to work.Stealer next option.waaaa! any help appreciated!!!
Hi, what was the solution? I have the same problem. Thanks
U170who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Car:
Posts: 3
Photos:
darkcloud520 is on a distinguished road
Have not figured problem out yet.Going to buy Rain-X stock! If you figure it out please post.Answer would be appreciated.Thanks.
darkcloud520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Car:
Posts: 3
Photos:
U170who is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud520 View Post
Have not figured problem out yet.Going to buy Rain-X stock! If you figure it out please post.Answer would be appreciated.Thanks.
Solved: my symptoms were that the wipers stopped working in the middle of driving in the rain. Pretty dangerous if you ask me and should be a factory recall. Found out the switch stopped working but the relay also blew. After two days of testing this and that, he finally attempted to revive it by tapping it with a screwdriver. He also put in the new relay at the same time, And it worked! Note: the new relay didn't work without the tapping. Bmw wants $540 for the whole assembly. They don't want to sell it separately but eBay does have a few separate pieces for much cheaper. Diy is easy also. Look on YouTube for a video on how to remove the steering wheel. Changing the whole assembly is easier.
U170who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Car:
Posts: 3
Photos:
darkcloud520 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the quick reply.Good to hear your problem is solved.I have removed the wiper relay,cleaned contacts etc.Seems OK but am ordering a new one.Keeping my fingers crossed.Seems like electrical problems in my case as i have (phantom) lights that come on and disappear just as quickly.Have also heard that (grounds)create many problems due to corrosion because of road salt.Will check & clean & keep you posted.Once again thanks for the information.
darkcloud520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Car:
Posts: 3
Photos:
U170who is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud520 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.Good to hear your problem is solved.I have removed the wiper relay,cleaned contacts etc.Seems OK but am ordering a new one.Keeping my fingers crossed.Seems like electrical problems in my case as i have (phantom) lights that come on and disappear just as quickly.Have also heard that (grounds)create many problems due to corrosion because of road salt.Will check & clean & keep you posted.Once again thanks for the information.
My relay also seemed ok. You could hear it click, but the new one clicked much louder. Good luck
U170who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New york
Car:
Posts: 10
Photos:
IsabelleCovillon is on a distinguished road
take it service station i am sure it would work well here now.....
IsabelleCovillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
4DoorWhore
 
Lord Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Car: 1998 E36 328i
Posts: 2,210
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabelleCovillon View Post
take it service station i am sure it would work well here now.....
You post the most useless information. Either post something useful, rather then telling every person to take it to a mechanic, or just leave.
__________________

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Windshield Wipers not working? sidd0123 X Series 0 11-19-2009 07:40 PM
Windshield wipers not working watatrp 3-Series (E46, E90) 0 12-22-2006 05:22 AM
Windshield Wipers Bluewater41 3-Series (E46, E90) 16 05-13-2004 09:38 AM
windshield wipers 97_540i 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 4 12-05-2003 12:25 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.