BMW Werkz banner

Windshield Wipers

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LOS 
#1 ·
My wipers stop in the up position, wether they are shut off or on delay, any ideas?

#4 ·
Originally posted by Wade6923@Apr 5 2005, 05:18 PM
My wipers stop in the up position, wether they are shut off or on delay, any ideas?
[snapback]326167[/snapback]​
Mine sometimes don't fully retract after shutoff (1999 E39). Dealer tech said to check under passenger side cabin air filter box for some relays and that the wiper relay is the big one and could be the culprit.

#5 ·
Originally posted by billB@Apr 5 2005, 04:47 PM
Is the Motor going south?
[snapback]326182[/snapback]​
No the motor works fine, it just stops in the up position. If I let them hit the loest position and shut the key off with the wiper control in the off position then the next time I start the car they stay down, how ever while driving with them on interval they stop at the up position.

#6 ·
If this is an e39 then the "park" contact swich is incorporated into the motor which means there is a good chance that the problem lies in the motor even though it is running ok. Another thing that causes "wierd" wiper problems on these models is when water gets into the e-box which is where the wiper relays are located. I would check this 1st. The e-box is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment below the microfilter for the AC system. You will need a 5mm allen to remove the e-box cover. Once you remove the cover you may have to remove the control modules from their trays to get a good look at the wiper relays which are at the very bottom of the ebox. Any sign of water or corrosion is a bad thing. Repair any damaged wiring, pins or relays and then check and clear the ebox drain as necessary to prevent this from happening again.If everything checks out ok in the ebox then I would be going after that motor.
Good Luck,
DT

#8 ·
Originally posted by Eric S.+Apr 6 2005, 12:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eric S. @ Apr 6 2005, 12:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Wade6923@Apr 5 2005, 05:18 PM
[snapback]326167[/snapback]​
Mine sometimes don't fully retract after shutoff (1999 E39). Dealer tech said to check under passenger side cabin air filter box for some relays and that the wiper relay is the big one and could be the culprit.
[snapback]326442[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
Air Box? under the hood by the firewall? Looked there and couldn't find anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.