BMW Werkz banner

Window Trouble

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kekoa_916 
#1 ·
:dunno 1999 540i. Rear Passenger Window problem. I've got the mechanism exposed, and find there's a wire driven by the regulator (motor). The wire has a 'nut' in the middle of it, and this 'nut' hooks into the device (let's call it a 'guide') that the window is bolted to. This 'guide' slides up and down a track when the window is activated.

Now, the problem is, the 'nut' is coming out of the guide whenever I operate the window. I can manually put the nut back in place. And without the window bolted in, the guide will slide up and down the track as it should. If I go too high, the nut pops out of the guide again. Also, once I do hook up the window, I guess the added stress of driving the window AND the guide is too much for the nut to handle, so it pops right out.

Working without the window, the guide kind of shimmies as it gets higher on the track - not a smooth ascention. And again, once I get to a certain point, the nut just comes out of the guide again.

Also, there is a tiny bit of frayed wire protruding from the nut on both ends, as the nut actually seems to clamp the wire together at its endpoints. Don't know if this frayed wire can have anything to do with the nut slipping out of place.

Because of its location, I cannot see whether the guide piece is worn out, but I suppose that's a possibility. But seems we'd want a smooth sliding operation for the guide to slide up and down the track, and I'm not gettintg that.

Any window experts out there?????

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Originally posted by billB@Jan 9 2005, 06:37 PM
Sounds like you need a window regulator..I have seen them for about $165 with motor.
[snapback]267642[/snapback]​
Well, if the regulator is the motor/drive/wire mechanism, no, it seems fine. The silly wire that hooks into the mechanism that slides up and down the track keeps coming out. The wire isn't broken, it's fine. The NUT that holds it in place on the sliding mechanism keeps coming out of its socket. If anything, I think i may need that sliding mechanism (looks like fun to replace), but I thought MAYBE there was a way to get the nut to stay in place.

Since I'm not clear on definition of the regulator, do you still think that's my problem?

Any help? AND, where have you found them - online, or at the stealer?

#4 ·
Originally posted by Sporty540+Jan 10 2005, 12:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sporty540 @ Jan 10 2005, 12:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-billB@Jan 9 2005, 06:37 PM
Sounds like you need a window regulator..I have seen them for about $165 with motor.
[snapback]267642[/snapback]​
Well, if the regulator is the motor/drive/wire mechanism, no, it seems fine. The silly wire that hooks into the mechanism that slides up and down the track keeps coming out. The wire isn't broken, it's fine. The NUT that holds it in place on the sliding mechanism keeps coming out of its socket. If anything, I think i may need that sliding mechanism (looks like fun to replace), but I thought MAYBE there was a way to get the nut to stay in place.

Since I'm not clear on definition of the regulator, do you still think that's my problem?

Any help? AND, where have you found them - online, or at the stealer?
[snapback]268139[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

The socket is part of the regulator, and is made of plastic........it's broke and needs a regulator.

#5 ·
I had the same problem with my 97 528. The slot that houses the divit starts to bend after awhile, giving room for the divit to slip out. I tried 'JB Weld' to hold it in place, but that eventually gave as it did not allow any movement with the curve of the track.

I ended up replacing the regulator as it comes with the track and motor in one piece. I bought mine at a local recycling yard that specializes in BMW parts ( Bavarian Auto Recycling ). It cost me less than $125 and came with a six month warranty. The dealer wanted $226.00 for a new one.

It took about 2 hours to replace as I was following the instructions in a Bently manual and realized that they left out two steps in the process. :wtf

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.