Window Tinting... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Can someone give me the basics on window tinting? I'm considering getting it done. I've seen the half ass bubbly auto parts store tintjobs that were done in driveways and i'd like to get it done professionally. What kinda price range am I looking for and what kind of place would I go to? I know of a detailing shop that does it...or should I be looking for an auto glass place to do it? Any specific products i should avoid or look for?

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
I went to a pro here in St. Louis. My 540i got done for $275 which includes everything but the front windshield (obviously). I'd always reccomend a professional auto glass place over a detailer. The auto-glass place does a lot of tinting so they know what they're doing. One word of caution, if you have your AM antenna built into the rear window you will get some interference. Window tinting film has some ceramic particles in it which will distort the sound somewhat...

good luck, and let us know what you end up doing...

regards,
#3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 05:30 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
My old shop would charge about 225-275 depending on the quality of the window film (warranty, scratch resistant coating, etc.). Ask them if they have a plotter to do the work. Most GOOD shops use it because of the precise cutting a computer can do over a humans hand (no matter how long theyve been doing it) and it looks great.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:11 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by d3ity@Jun 18 2005, 02:03 PM
Can someone give me the basics on window tinting? I'm considering getting it done. I've seen the half ass bubbly auto parts store tintjobs that were done in driveways and i'd like to get it done professionally. What kinda price range am I looking for and what kind of place would I go to? I know of a detailing shop that does it...or should I be looking for an auto glass place to do it? Any specific products i should avoid or look for?
[snapback]354748[/snapback]
Here's the deal - don't screw around, you gotta get a pro to do it. Get someone who has been in business for years and knows what they're doing and uses 3M brand tint film with a lifetime warranty against fading.

The state of the art used to be titanium in the film to keep it from fading (the cheap non-metallic-based stuff turns purple after a few months of sun exposure). But with the AM radio antenna factor, my local shop (where I've taken 3 cars previous to getting them to do my 540) recommended a carbon-fiber-based 3M film that cost a little more, but eliminated radio interference issues.

Their normal price was $200 for the front and rear side windows and the rear window. With my upgrade to the interference-free film it cost $225. Having done window tinting on my own various cars since 1981, I feel low $200's is more than fair for the trouble it saves you, especially when you get that lifetime warranty (that's why you get a reputable dealer who's been in business for years, so that the lifetime warranty actually means something).

Lastly, make sure they put a light meter on your windows and that they pre-try it with the film you pick out to ensure its light transmissibility is legal for your state laws (unless you like getting hassled by the state police). Most stock windows have at least some tint, so that a 5% window plus 50% tint can yield a 45% total tinted window...

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
One more thing - after you get the tinting done, you'll probably notice that the windows don't go up or down nearly as fast as they used to. This is because of trace tint film adhesive transferred to the window seals, dragging on the window glass.

Here's how to deal with that: After your tint has cured really well (about a week), put all of your windows down and spray all of the vertical window channels with a silicone spray, and then wipe off the excess. Make sure you get it into that groove really well. Run your windows up and down a few times; re-apply silicone spray as needed.

Once you do that, your electric window down/up speed should be permanently restored to pre-tint speed and you won't prematurely burn out any motor or regulator....

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:36 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
good point....

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:33 PM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:05 PM
n00b

Sickblack328 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got mine done for 190 bucks........worth every penny. As far as the windows going down slow......never heard of such a thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0015.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	733.6 KB
ID:	20972  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)