BMW Werkz banner

Window Tinting...

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sickblack328 
#1 ·
Can someone give me the basics on window tinting? I'm considering getting it done. I've seen the half ass bubbly auto parts store tintjobs that were done in driveways and i'd like to get it done professionally. What kinda price range am I looking for and what kind of place would I go to? I know of a detailing shop that does it...or should I be looking for an auto glass place to do it? Any specific products i should avoid or look for?

#2 ·
I went to a pro here in St. Louis. My 540i got done for $275 which includes everything but the front windshield (obviously). I'd always reccomend a professional auto glass place over a detailer. The auto-glass place does a lot of tinting so they know what they're doing. One word of caution, if you have your AM antenna built into the rear window you will get some interference. Window tinting film has some ceramic particles in it which will distort the sound somewhat...

good luck, and let us know what you end up doing...

regards,

#3 ·
My old shop would charge about 225-275 depending on the quality of the window film (warranty, scratch resistant coating, etc.). Ask them if they have a plotter to do the work. Most GOOD shops use it because of the precise cutting a computer can do over a humans hand (no matter how long theyve been doing it) and it looks great.

#4 ·
Originally posted by d3ity@Jun 18 2005, 02:03 PM
Can someone give me the basics on window tinting? I'm considering getting it done. I've seen the half ass bubbly auto parts store tintjobs that were done in driveways and i'd like to get it done professionally. What kinda price range am I looking for and what kind of place would I go to? I know of a detailing shop that does it...or should I be looking for an auto glass place to do it? Any specific products i should avoid or look for?
[snapback]354748[/snapback]​
Here's the deal - don't screw around, you gotta get a pro to do it. Get someone who has been in business for years and knows what they're doing and uses 3M brand tint film with a lifetime warranty against fading. :thumbs

The state of the art used to be titanium in the film to keep it from fading (the cheap non-metallic-based stuff turns purple after a few months of sun exposure). But with the AM radio antenna factor, my local shop (where I've taken 3 cars previous to getting them to do my 540) recommended a carbon-fiber-based 3M film that cost a little more, but eliminated radio interference issues.

Their normal price was $200 for the front and rear side windows and the rear window. With my upgrade to the interference-free film it cost $225. Having done window tinting on my own various cars since 1981, I feel low $200's is more than fair for the trouble it saves you, especially when you get that lifetime warranty (that's why you get a reputable dealer who's been in business for years, so that the lifetime warranty actually means something).

Lastly, make sure they put a light meter on your windows and that they pre-try it with the film you pick out to ensure its light transmissibility is legal for your state laws (unless you like getting hassled by the state police). Most stock windows have at least some tint, so that a 5% window plus 50% tint can yield a 45% total tinted window...

#5 ·
One more thing - after you get the tinting done, you'll probably notice that the windows don't go up or down nearly as fast as they used to. This is because of trace tint film adhesive transferred to the window seals, dragging on the window glass.

Here's how to deal with that: After your tint has cured really well (about a week), put all of your windows down and spray all of the vertical window channels with a silicone spray, and then wipe off the excess. Make sure you get it into that groove really well. Run your windows up and down a few times; re-apply silicone spray as needed.

Once you do that, your electric window down/up speed should be permanently restored to pre-tint speed and you won't prematurely burn out any motor or regulator.... :driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.