Where did you find your car? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jeraldchrist is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Where did you find your car?

I wanted some insight on the best way to sell my bimmer. Where did you find Yours originally? I know auto trader, craigs list etc, but is there a better way? It is a 97 with 103k, not the easiest car to get financed, its a nice car mechanically sound. I thought of ebay but dead beats and scammers and 100 plus in fees has me thinking twice. I'm just looking to break even at $6500 any suggestions from anyone?

Sertafied Rocket Surgeon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 AM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraldchrist View Post
I wanted some insight on the best way to sell my bimmer. Where did you find Yours originally? I know auto trader, craigs list etc, but is there a better way? It is a 97 with 103k, not the easiest car to get financed, its a nice car mechanically sound. I thought of ebay but dead beats and scammers and 100 plus in fees has me thinking twice. I'm just looking to break even at $6500 any suggestions from anyone?
I found my bimmer in Auto Trader online, and sold my last two cars that way as well. I would do a combination of things, try as many free things as you can, put it on a bulletin board at work, craigs list, etc. I wouldn't do it on eBay, fees are quite a bit on expensive items, although you can avoid scammers pretty easily by just following common sense practices. Don't take money orders or personal checks, only do paypal or cash. Most of the time, it's wise to only sell to local people, or to someone who comes to see the car in person. The last two I sold, I met them in a public place so they could take a test drive, I rode with them on the test drive, and they paid me in cash. Just use your common sense when dealing with people, and trust your instincts. Don't have them come to your house, and try to have someone with you when you meet them somewhere. Make sure you get a copy of their driver's license (or at least write the info down) when you sign over the title, and make a copy of your title before you hand it over as well.

$6500 is a steal on that car if it is in good condition. I got mine for $8000 two years ago and it had 120K miles on it. 528, 540? How is the exterior/interior?

Jason / 1997 528i
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I bought my 5er here on bimmerwerkz from another member...and just bought a 635 on here as well.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 PM
n00b

jeraldchrist is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
smoking deal

Its in really good shape,For a hundred thousand miles its really good body and interior wise, actually the interior is damn near perfect, the paint was about 5 out of ten when I got it, about 9 out of ten now. After literaly ten hours claying, compounding etc.( I highly recomend the detailing clay, this is the first car I have had that needed it and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself)The sun shines 320 days out of the year here and at 120 degrees it can do some damage! its an Az California car so no snow, salt etc. The couple I got it from was having money troubles and neglected it a little the past few months but it was cared for mechanically.Inspection on time etc. Runs like a champ as long as you don't get the coils wet . I put in new motor mounts that smoothed it out at idle, got new fog lamps, I just ordered the rubber winshield trim, and did the brakes. The driver side window regulator is going, it works now but something tells me that little plastic wheel might not make it. And one of the seat motors for the recline on the drivers seat is out, that will be sundays project. 97 BMW 540i Coulda had a V-8!!!!!
I got a little ad not one response in three days, I was going to do it up wheels lights etc, but I want an m5 so I think I'll sell it as it is and save my money for insurance! It getting so bad I even thoughtof selling the harley too!

Sertafied Rocket Surgeon
#5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 AM
n00b

MeanM50 is on a distinguished road
I got mine from El Craigo Listo. It was a good buy, the right time, and a dumb-ass previous owner that didn't do his homework before posting the car up for sale. If you don't need the car as transportation, there are consignment lots. I sold a 540i that way....semi-high mile 1994 540i with autotragic transmission.....they got me enough to pay them for selling it, and still get what I wanted for the car. Pretty good deal for me, but I get the feeling that not every consignment lot is that nice to work with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)