BMW Werkz banner

Wheel Sensors

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  a_ok2me 
#1 ·
After two trips to my BMW dealer, the recommended solution was to replace the other 3 wheel sensors and the control module. This is only $1400 dollar on top of the $600 I just spent on the 90K mile service.

The problem started with the ABS/ASC lights coming on intermitantly -usually in wet weather. This also, occasionally, prevents use of the cruise control.

The diagnosis is cracked wheel sensors. The extended warrenty covered the first one replaced two months ago. But as they have now been informed of that other three are cracked they won't cover them because this is not a "Safety" issue and has been determined to be a design flaw on models manufactured in Canada during the 1999 model year.

Is there an alternative fix or temporary repair? It's not that I'm being cheap. I am putting $600 of new tires on it next week before the weather turn foul and would like to delay this expensive repair.

Also is this a repair I can take care of? I cannot find a repair manual for my 1999 5 series. I have moderate mechanical skills, mostly timing belts, tune-ups, exhaust , and suspension experience.

See less See more
#2 ·
TGWINNS5
Welcome to our forum and sorry to hear about your problem with the extended warranty.
At this point you may want to consider some of these options/alternatives:
A. You can buy the sensor from online stores for about $90 each and do it yourself.
B. I will not consider disconnecting the system. It is that important.
C. Used electronic parts? NO unless you wish to gammble; 50/50 chance.
In sum: Since you have "moderate mechanical skills"; DIY for 3 sensors at $270 is a substantial saving. Take a look behind your rotors (below the tip of your struts) you will see the sensor bolted by two hex screws plus a wire connected to a little black plastic box on the chasis. Disconnect your battery terminal, take the tire out, unplug the sensor's wire from the plastic box, take the two hex screws out; replace with the new sensors.

I hope this will help you in sorting out the problem.

Good luck

regards
billb

#3 ·
I'm having ABS/ASC problems too. The sensor are easy to replace. I replaced my sensors, but the light still turns on when the car is warm. I had it diagnosed with a handheld diagnostic tool from a shop. It said the front sensors needed replacement, but one had already been replaced 30k miles ago. It also said there was one bad cable. Anyways, I replaced both sensors but the light is still on. I might take it to BMW to get a more thorough diagnostic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.