What can I do???? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brapier is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
What can I do????

Can I use other 5x120 rims no matter what year they are for on my 97 540i? For example can I use a 2003 e39 rims that are 5x120 on my 97???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 AM
n00b

GlenRocks is on a distinguished road
Post Use this site to compare...it was posted in other thread too....

Wheel-Tire size comparer - RIMSnTIRES.com

Its useful site!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 04:47 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Another useful site for comparing BMW rims is Felgen-Katalog - BMW-Treff - der Treffpunkt für alle BMW-Fans und -Fahrer it will allow you to see the details of your current wheels (if they are genuine), and you can use this information to evaluate the alternatives that you are considering. Pay particular attention to the offset value. The 5 & 7 series are typically +16 to +24, and alot of other models are +36 to +44.

Riding in style
#4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
03 540 wheels will work fine on your 97. The cars are the same chassis.

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 02:54 AM
n00b

GlenRocks is on a distinguished road
Does upgrading in irregular car model rim size affect your mileage??

as I see that for 540s/E39 one can go up to 18" if upgrading from standard or M sport size!!

P.S I like those M-Parallel wheels on brapier car! style 37, I assume!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:35 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
It all comes down to the rolling diameter of the tire, if you maintain (roughly) the stock diameter by changing the profile as you go up through the sizes your performance (acceleration, fuel economy and top speed) will remain the same, and you speedo with retain its accuracy, but if you change the rolling diameter then other variable will also change. The Tire Size comparing tool above will show the impact of changing tire diameters as a % relative to the original tire.

I went from 235/60/16 to 275/40/19 (rear) on my car with a 2.2% change in total diameter, but it really didn't impact noticably in the parameters mentioned earlier. So keep within reasonable range of the original and you should be ok. Use the tool to thoroughly investigate your options before putting your hand in your pocket and pulling your wallet out.

Riding in style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)