what is this bulb/LED for? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:15 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
beautyland is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

There is a red LED/bulb below the rear vent. (center of front two seats). You can see this only from the rear seat. What is this bulb for? I don't even know if this car ever had a remote. (previous owner gave me a key only). 1995, 525i, E34, Auto. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:31 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
This is your alarm LED... Your car has been wired for it and probably needs to be activated.

The alarm unit is under the rearseat. You can buy the remote and the chip from EBAY or Bavauto...

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 08:46 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Question

Hi LOS,

I tried to take the rear seat out. But I could not take it out. Seat is attached by a couple of tabs in the front. What do I need to do to release the tabs? I tried pushig the flat head screwdriver in the hole, didn't work. I tried twisting and turning, didn't work. My owners manual doesn't say how to take it out. Manual talked about touring model.

Thanks for the help.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
OK, I have a similar question (hope you don't mind).

I have a LED on the right side of the steering wheel (if you drew a line vertically through the steering wheel it would be exactly on the opposite side of the light switch). I've seen some e34 with it and some without. Is it the same alarm led as the one beautyland has on the rear vent ? Where is the unit in this case if there is one.

Thanks.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:34 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

B-land...
try pulling the bottom seat (cushion) up... open the side door and pull from the bottom corner of the seat up, then do the other side until the whole bottom seat is loose. You will hear a snap sound. To put the seat back, push the corners down on each side, you'll hear the snap sound again.

Torque,
I was not aware about this LED light on the dashboard... sounds like an aftermarket alarm... Check the rear seat and see if the unit is there...

Also, there is some good info on this site, CIRCLEBMW.COM
Go to the service icon and click on tech information for additional info regarding the alarm unit.

LOS
#6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 07:57 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi Torque,
The one you are talking is the led for Anti theft system (audio system).

Thanks.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Thx. I guess it's for nothing since I don't have the factory radio any more.

#8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

crackerkorean is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to crackerkorean Send a message via Yahoo to crackerkorean
Sorry to hijack also. I have an LED in my climate control on the right side in a little vent.

I have the factory alarm system so its not hte LED for that. ( its the big red thing under the rear view .... Right? )

This is an E39 BTW
#9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 10:34 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

OK...
The LED by the radio, it's some type of anti-theft devised for the radio. If it's stolen it won't work. It'll need to be program by the dealer and hopefully they'll know it was stolen.

The LED by the vents, it's a temp sensor, the alarm LED is on the bottom of the rear view mirror (on 97+ models)

Torque,
check underneath the dash board for the alarm (if it's an aftermarket unit)

LOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)