BMW Werkz banner

What is a 1993 525I automatic worth?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  d3ity 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 1993 525I automatic with 136,000 miles. Can someone tell me what this car might be worth here on Long Island NY? The car has been garaged and is pretty clean except for a dent in the rear door and the a/c is not cold. Also the elderly owner tried to reset the radio after replacing the battery and did not get the code right after many tries and it no longer works. Roy here on Long Island

#2 · (Edited)
Long Island NY?
136k?

I wouldn't pay more than $2500 personally.

I've had three of these cars. Never paid more than 5k for one. All of them bought under/at 100k. You're talking about a city car... with high mileage. The M50 thats under that hood is good till 200k+, however, you're definatley gonna want to check the shocks out, specifically the front, as with that type of mileage, they are likley the reason he's selling. You're looking at about 800 to replace those. Check the brakes as well. Again, its a city car. I'm sure you know what that entails, Lots of stop and go driving, which means you're probably going to want a reputable mechanic to check out the car before you buy so you know what you're getting into. Make sure the car doesn't have any overheating issues as well. Those aren't quite as costly to fix as shocks/struts, but still, make sure the fan clutch is in good shape so you know if you're gonna need to replace it.

As for the radio code, all you need to do there is pull the radio out and go to a BMW dealership with the title. They can lookup the serial # and get you the code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.