BMW Werkz banner

Weird E34 540 tranny problem, help needed..

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ozarkmark 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
Could someone explaine me this please. Early in a morning, I start my E34 I switch it to "D" and my car stands still... I revv it up, maybe up to 2500 rpm, it starts moving slowly,,,, It literally feels that the car is on hand brake...but it`s not.. There are no strange sounds, from tranny or engines, no messages on the dashboard , nothing at all, that would give me a clue what a hell that is... Then after maybe 10-15 secs ir would literally jump ahead into normal mode, and drive it, like nothing happened.. After the car makes a few stops-and-goes, and warmes up, problem dissapears... and would never appear again that day... But The tranny seems to "freeze" over night... Next morning it would be the same...My car has 119 000 miles, 1994 BMW 540... Has anyone experienced similar problems?? if so, any advice appreciatted...many thanks for any ideas....
antose

#2 ·
i got the same car as you, but i dont have that problem. i cant think of what could be causing it. my car does a similar problem - i put it into reverese and it takes a while for it to get in gear so i can move backwards. maybe our transmissions are going bad?

#3 ·
Well

both of you have a tranny problem, both are somewhat serious, but the original's poster's issue is more common.

To the original poster : your tranny is most likely leaking. When was the last time you had a tranny service? If it's not leaking on the outside, there is probably an internal leak. Check the fluid level and top up if necessary. If you don't know how, take it to someone who knows these cars and trannies fairly well who can. A full blown tranny service might also help, but there are some risks involved - I can go into more detail if you'd like, but topping up the fluid level if it's low (most likely IS low) should cure your problem temporarily. This problem is commonly lived with and people top up when it starts to act up again.

dyami:
This is from the tranny not being able to build up the pressure that it needs to to get into reverse (somewhat similar to original poster's issue). Often times, a tranny service / or topping up cures the problem, but at that point if the fluid was really contaminated - theres no telling how long the tranny will last after the service (or if it goes untouched). Some people have changed the fluid, cured the problem and been happy for many more miles - others have had the opposite. Tough choice.

All in All, if you really like the 540, I don't think the trannies are too expensive for the e34s anymore.

#4 ·
Valve Body

I would check the fluid level as suggested.

However, the problem is likely your valve body. The pressure regulator gradually forces the reverse check ball through its check plate. Reverse is actually engaged while you are moving forward. The effect feels like the emergency brake is on.

You may want to check with Kirt Koeller at
europetransman@hotmail.com
(800) 624-3876 #5 or direct (616)748-5735

He can supply genuine ZF rebuild kits or a rebuilt valve body for a reasonable cost. Many have had more success this way than with dealers.

#5 ·
sp0rky said:
Well

both of you have a tranny problem, both are somewhat serious, but the original's poster's issue is more common.

To the original poster : your tranny is most likely leaking. When was the last time you had a tranny service? If it's not leaking on the outside, there is probably an internal leak. Check the fluid level and top up if necessary. If you don't know how, take it to someone who knows these cars and trannies fairly well who can. A full blown tranny service might also help, but there are some risks involved - I can go into more detail if you'd like, but topping up the fluid level if it's low (most likely IS low) should cure your problem temporarily. This problem is commonly lived with and people top up when it starts to act up again.
If the tranny fluid is low, wouldnt you hear a lot more gear noise? i would think that its more along the lines of not enough pressure build up, like you explained to me for my tranny.

#7 ·
I don't mean to hijack your thread, antose9, but I've got a tranny problem also and thought this would be more convenient than created a similar thread.

When my car is in D mode, it will shift 1st to 2nd just fine, but when shifting 2nd into 3rd, it hesitates and can take even 6000rpm for it to shift. I have to pull the shifter back to S4, then up into D for it to shift anywhere below 6000rpms. It does it so often that I feel like I'm driving a stick when my car is actually an auto. Any assumptions?

#9 · (Edited)
Scyrusurcys - I posted a thread awhile back that addresses this problem. Check it out.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38655

oooops, I see you have a '95 540i - so I am not sure if the thread is relevant but it may provide additional insight.

BTW - I hope you problem is not as serious as mine. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.