BMW Werkz banner

warning Brake light ON???

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mrogers 
#1 ·
Recently, i replaced my brake pad with a non-BMW manufactured pad
from Autozone. After I replace the brake pad the warning light still led.
I checked the brake fluid and fuses.
I found nothing wrong, and my new brake pad work fine.

Anyone know if I have to use a specific BMW dealer brake pads?????????

Any idea will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

MNguyen

#2 ·
You provide no information about the year or model of your vehicle, but I'm going to assume you have an E39 (that's a 1996 - 2003 5-series), since that's what I can speak most intelligently about.

In these cars, there are brake pad sensors on the front left and rear right wheels. If allowed to activate (i.e., if you see the brake warning light on your dash), then the sensors have essentially "popped" and must be replaced. They're pretty cheap, generally between $20 and $30 for the pair, and are simple to put on. My friend has an E34 (1989? - 1995) and his sensors behave the same way *I think*. I'll post some links to the sensors in a moment...

OK I can't post direct links to them, but go to http://www.bavauto.com and once you select your car go to Brakes, and then in the Front brakes section there's the fron sensor and in the Rear brakes section there's the rear sensor. Bavauto has them at $15.95 each for the E39, which is a touch high I think, but they have good service and quick processing. I can't find a guide or pictures on how to replace these, but it's really simple...just take the wheel off and look at how the old one is connected.

#4 ·
Hi mnguyen11111,

This is your brake pad sensor problem. It is very easy to replace. Before you order a new sensor, check the existing connections. There could be a loose contact. else just replace the sensor.
As far a company is concerned, doesn't matter. Just go for ceramic or better pads. This gives long life, better braking distance and since you got it from AutoZone, you got brake pads free for life on that car.

Good Luck.

#6 ·
It's only a sensor which is basically a wire with a plastic (or whatever) thick end, and when it gets eaten up, it gets shorted and throws on the light. You can replace it in a few minutes (I blieve there is 2 of them - on e34 there is one on the front left and right rear).

Although, I would suggest you look into some better pads next time.

#11 ·
Originally posted by d3ity@Jul 15 2004, 05:05 PM
Replace the brake pad sensor.
Welcome to 4 days ago...we covered that part :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.