Vibration in my 2000 540 6spd - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
dagoo98 is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently changed the clutch and since I changed the clutch I have been getting an rpm specific vibration. It happens at 1100 rpm and 2000 rpm. It feels like a engine balancing problem so I tried to change the harmonic balancer but that did not fix the problem. The only other thing I can think of is the flywheel but BMW wants $900 for it and I don't to buy it unless I am sure it is the flywheel. Can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, if it wasn't vibrating before the clutch replacement but started vibrating after the replacement then I would venture to say that it has something to do with the installation or the parts. Several things, what all did you replace? Did you use quality replacement parts? Did you ever remove the flywheel? Did you reinstall and torque it properly? Did you install the pressure plate properly? Did you torque it properly? Is the transmission installed properly? (ie flush against the block). Are all transmission bolts tightened properly? Is the vibration at stand still with the car in Neutral? With or without clutch engaged? Is the vibration while driving?
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
Old 03-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
The car vibrates no matter what. Whetehr it is moving or not, whether it is in gear or not, and whether the clutch is engaged or not. the clutch was purchased from the BMW dealership. the flywheel was never removed. the vibration fluctuates, sometimes its worse than other times, and when I drive the car hard, the next day it vibrates even more than usual. I need serious help because I've already bought a harmonic balancer because I thought it could have been that but it wasn't and I hate wasting money. When I think back to when I got the car, it had a very slight tremble so I don't think the problem is the clutch because I think that slight tremble has now turned into a great annoyance. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
well then I would say you have an engine missfire or a very lean condition. I would remove the coil pack cover and make sure there is no oil in the spark plug wholes. I would then check, double check and triple check for vacuum leaks (cracked/broken hoses, improperly secured intake boots etc). The other thing to do is check the crank case vent valve. You can do this by starting the car and letting it idle. pull the engine oil dipstick and listen for a honking or howling sound, it will be noticeable. You will hear a sucking sound, that's normal. The other possibility is an intake gasket leak. How many miles are on the car??
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
Old 03-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
The car has 80,000 miles on it. Sometimes in the morning when it is cold I hear a honking noise but it goes away after a minute. I think I'm gonna change the flywheel next. Do you think this is the wrong way to go?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
I just put two and two together, ever since I had the car when I ease of the gas and just maintain speed I hear a honking noise and when I go back on the gas it goes away. I think it may be the intake manifold gasket and that would give me a vacuum problem. When I ease off the gas that is when the engine would be trying to achieve a vacuum. tell me what you think.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
BMW Xpert is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Did you put on the clutch yourself???
1. If you did it yourself=make sure you did it correctly
2. IF you didn't do it yourself = then take it back to the person who did it and push on them and make them fix it.
Take ur BMW to the dealership for inspection is it under warranty???
Old 03-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
dagoo : BINGO. You just told me what your problem is. It's your crankcase vent valve on the back of the intake. This is what makes that honking sound. I would recommend doing a complete intake reseal. Get the front plate gasket, two intake gaskets and the crankcase ventvalve which will come with a new gasket. It's easiest to remove the intake to do the ventvalve replacement. It can be done on the car but you really have to know the tricks and have just the right tools. Plus, it's best to replace the other gaskets at the same time anyway to avoid a problem later. If you aren't an experienced wrencher then I would advise taking it somewhere.
Don't change the flywheel yet. This should solve your problem. It's too bad you didn't know this while you had the transmission out. You would have had direct access to the ventvalve. Good luck.
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

Pre-Purchase Inspections
-----------

Old 03-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
It turns out you were right. The plastic connector that connects the line that goes to the PCV valve was crystallized and broken. I think this is where my problem was coming from because there was a leak there. Anyway, I am changing the intake manifold gaskets of course as well as the PCV valve and the plastic connector but I had to order the connector and it won't be here until tomorrow so when the work is done I will let you know. Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Anytime dagoo.
By the way, when removing the intake don't forget about the transfer tube underneath the intake running to the vent valve. You will have to remove the metal clip(at the back) and slide the tube back to get the intake off. Also make sure that the oring is not damaged and that the tube is properly installed when placing the intake back on(also lubricate the oring before installation). It can be a nightmare so take your time and don't rush.
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

Pre-Purchase Inspections
-----------

Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
EXtech you were right. I replaced the PCV valve as well as the transfer tube and the vibration is totally gone. My car is fun to drive again and it even feels more responsive. That vibration was so annoying but thanks to you its gone now. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
anytime dagoom, you're welcome. Its' amazing how big of a difference it really does make isn't it? Glad it's fixed!
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

Pre-Purchase Inspections
-----------

Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tomtebloss is on a distinguished road
hello guys, I'm not that good on English, but i got the same problem like TS, i bought an e39 540 97- a couple months ago and its vibrating at 1300 and 2000. its always the same vibrating and in same RPM. i got a perfect Idle.
i changed my valve-gaskets and all the ignition coils at the right side because i could hear very small misfiring from that side but i cant hear them anymore after the change.
the car has always been like this since i bought it. Do you think i got the same problem?
The reason that i write is because i don't know what or where the PCV and transfertubes is? a picture or some explaining on easy English would be nice, thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tomtebloss is on a distinguished road
RealOEM.com BMW E39 540i Intake manifold system

what is pcv valve and transfertube here?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Thread is from 2004...

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)