valves and clearances - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
mehumming is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mehumming Send a message via Yahoo to mehumming
Thumbs up valves and clearances

i am going to check the clearances on my e28 2.8l 528i and i was wondering if any old techs or tradesman know if there is a special tool for adjusting the clearances ( i have tuning specs for clearances and a Grade mech to assist in this procedure) any help would be great and i hope i can learn something first online rather than removing throttle body and other parts
mehumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
the reason i am checking these is cause it seems a little dull till 3&1/2 thou and then its off to 7 i am pleased with the upper range . Just want every thing to be correct for the top gear smooth and crisp
Old 02-17-2006, 03:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Yes there is a special tool for moving the eccentric cams. Try ZDmak or El paso tool on ebay for buying the tool. Otherwise I think you could make something yourself if you wanted to spend the time.
DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ok, thanks.
making a tool sounds more interesting, i will get onto very soon thanks bimmerwerkz.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bimmerboy328i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bimmerboy328i
Are you talking about valve lash?
- 97 M52 Beast - Vortech V-1 Supercharger Setup - Dinan Software - 28.8lb Injectors - 9psi - ZKW's - OEM Clears - DoubleSpoke II's - OEM M3 Spoiler - OEM M3 Front Bumper - 20% Tint - CCFL Angel Eyes - 6K Xtec HIDs in ZKWs - 6k H1 based D2S HID's in Foglights - Bilstein Sport Shocks - Eibach Sportline Springs - Cosmos Racing CAI - M50 Manifold Swap - UUC Motorwerks SystemU Exhaust - Fan Delete - 3.15 LSD -
bimmerboy328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Lightbulb let me see them

valve lash maybe?
I am uncertain of the cam installed and its operation i have little knowledge of the e28 apart from service books i have stumbled accross in the last couple of weeks.
cold clearances: inlet 0.010
Exhaust 0.010
I was concerned of the valves safety and wanted to inspect their tolerances.

Really i want to find my way around the B.L-Jetronic and sensors for fault finding but if the valves are safe under that cover i will just feed them more fuel and oil..

I have just purhcased this vechile for 2000 Aussie dollars with 257k on the odometer. was running rich and stalling when cold, jumping around under the hood * vacum hoses had been removed from underneath the Inlet manifold and exhaust monifold.
Reconnection made things quiten down somewhat low rpm 500 +/- 100rpm
Genuine air filter was burnt with dust causing engine to stall gain around 150rpm.
Some minor adjustments to air flow and it was up to 850 Humming ...
I want to have everything working as per factory so its off to APS for a diagnostic tune with dyno.
SO sorry there isn`t any pics of saloon as yet, having problems getting smaller jpeg images to upload hmmmmmmmmmmm BACK LASH??
Old 02-23-2006, 05:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Rev limiter starting to kick in at around 5800 rpm smooth response from low rpm with a little flat spot around 3000 rpm. service light comming on after a few cold starts still have a few things to service
Old 03-28-2006, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Thumbs up adjusting cams

I finally removed the valve cover and found a couple of tight clearances on the exhaust valves..
gee's their some what difficult to trim but under the hammer i finally adjusted all exhaust valve clearances and checked all intakes.

Making the most whilst i had the maf and throttle body out of action i cleaned the lot and checked all hoses and clamps. Every thing looks good for the 21 yold.

working around the maf i decided to install a pod filter straight off the MAF , clamps on with little room to spare between itself and the strut pillar.
With out having to remove the exiting air cleaner box simple removal of one bend of the intake was needed.

Better idle with smoother response, now things are starting to become more economic on the fuel gauge and Lts per 100. Around 10 Ltrs per 100 at 100klms per hour,
At 95 around 8 lts per 100
service lights are stable all green lights..

Thanks Dirty tool...:lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)