Uhh 5er loves eating away at my money!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Scotty Dangles is an unknown quantity at this point
Uhh 5er loves eating away at my money!!

Well Yesterday as I was driving home for lunch I got the *ping* sound of death from my OBC!! As I eagerly awaited for the OBC to tell me what was wrong I prayed that perhaps my w/s washer fluid had mysteriously evaporated and needed to be refilled....but ALAS the message read "Break Linings"!! ARGH!!!

So in the end I got both front rotors and break pads replaced along with a fresh coat of paint on the calipers! The calipers actually look hot now...rather then the icky rust brown they were before! But after all said and done the bill was a wonderful $550CDN! (they also did some dabbling on the OBC as my SRS light was flashing and fixed my door stopper.)

To make matters worse...Doug, my tech, noticed that my front shocks were in need of changing when he went on the test drive. In addition the car is due for an inspection II soon enough!! YIKES!!! Any ideas how much it will cost getting my shocks replaced?? Also any ideas as to what kind of shocks I should replace the OEM ones with?

Oh I drive a 1994 530i!!

Cheers
Scott
Scotty Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
YES! I finally get to say it!

It looks like a good time for you to lower your car!!

oh - as for what kind of shocks, Koni Adjustables... paired with H&R springs or GC coiloivers!!

so glad I got to say that. haha.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
NICE!! I knew you would chirp in on lowering my car!!!

You know what would happen if i took your suggestion...I would turn into the new Luxury Snowplow for the Kitchener/Waterloo Region!! :lol:

I'm thinking of throwing on Bilstein shocks??

But to be honest I have not noticed anything wrong with my front shocks. Even my roomies have not noticed anything...so I don't know if my tech is full of crap and trying to screw me or not? Any sure sings how to tell my front shocks are dying/dead?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
raborg36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dead shocks

I have a 95 525i that started to bounce more than usual in the front end, and very rapidly deteriated into what looked to be a car with hydraulics. Hence, you will definately notice when you need to replace your shocks. Its also good to stay with OEM if your not looking to increase the performance or void warrenties.
raborg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raborg36
I have a 95 525i that started to bounce more than usual in the front end, and very rapidly deteriated into what looked to be a car with hydraulics. Hence, you will definately notice when you need to replace your shocks. Its also good to stay with OEM if your not looking to increase the performance or void warrenties.
Alright so the fact that I have yet to notice any significant bouncing when driving is a good thing. Even the tech said he didn't notice anything when on the test drive and actually said the car felt good, he just pointed out that the car bounced a lot on the hoist...??

I'll just have to keep an eye out...and now that I think about it I'll likely stick to OEM shocks...sorry Sporky ...
Old 09-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I'm sure warranties on a 11 year old car do not apply.

Bilsteins are good.... just about average.... Definately don't get sports if you want to lower your car, Personally, I'd suggest touring shocks as they are stiffer than stock, but softer than sports. Koni adjustables are the best you can get for these cars because of the fact that you can adjust the rebound - and they have a much more "controlled" ride feel than the often-called harsh bilsteins.

Surprisingly enough, a lot of people don't know when their shocks are blown. However if you are on your originals, they are indeed gone. They typically don't make it past 50k miles.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0rky

Bilsteins are good.... just about average.... Definately don't get sports if you want to lower your car, Personally, I'd suggest touring shocks as they are stiffer than stock, but softer than sports. Koni adjustables are the best you can get for these cars because of the fact that you can adjust the rebound - and they have a much more "controlled" ride feel than the often-called harsh bilsteins.

Surprisingly enough, a lot of people don't know when their shocks are blown. However if you are on your originals, they are indeed gone. They typically don't make it past 50k miles.
Were the original shocks blue ? Because we have no record of them being replaced on my dads 5er, and I'm having a hard time believing the stock shocks are still so good at 120k miles.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
no! the originals are black and stamped "boge"
However, you shouldn't be able to see the shock unless you are talking about the rears only. used:
Old 09-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:

Great advice! Thanks Don! I will get some prices for the Koni adjustables.

Curious should I change all four shocks when changing the brand??
Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
if you have the cash!

If not, the bilstein tourings do provide a nice ride for a stock height car and are LOTS cheaper.

The Koni's just make your car feel like a "new car" again.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
shragon is an unknown quantity at this point
koni's!!

CarDomain Page
shragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Well then...got some prices...the Koni's are not cheap...! I think I will go for the Bilstein Touring shocks...and get all the shock work done when I have the car in for the inspection II...can't wait to pay that bill!!! :

Thanks for all the advice and help guys!

Cheers
Scott
Old 09-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
pfffffft.
do the work yourself! dont be lazy!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
pfffffft.
do the work yourself! dont be lazy!
Easy for you to say in sunny California!!! I don't even have a garage...nor do I have the proper tools!!!!

It's getting cold up in Canada...soon it will be -20 Degrees Celsius....yikes!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Yes, soon. But what is it now? hmmm?
uh huh... thats what I thought.

And for one BIG job, I'm sureyou know somebody who is willing to let you use some space + tools for a day.

haha - tryin to talk your way out of it. lol

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)