BMW Werkz banner

U Can't Duplicate "Brilliant Silver"

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  CosmosBlack 
#1 ·
Attached are photos of the results of the refinish I did of my Style 32 rims this past weekend (the un-refinished spare rim is next to the newly refinished rim mounted on the car for comparison). I used the Griot's Garage "Wheel restoration kit". As the photos show (and the photos make the refinish look much better than it does in person), spray paint cans cannot duplicate the OEM brilliant silver finish. I am very disappointed in the results. Oh well, it was worth a try.

I've found only ONE pro wheel refinishing place (Wheel Collision center) that claims to be able to duplicate the factory "Brilliant Silver" finish (and also the M5 rims) via a special powder coating process @ $155 per rim.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
saltshaker185 said:
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm

shouldve tried, WURTH wheel paint... read the article... ill be doing this soon...
Sorry, the Wurth paint cannot duplicate the look either, at least not for Style 32's. The Griot paint is equivalent to the Wurth, but it doesn't matter; it just doesn't duplicate that "polished" look. I studied that BMW tips article many times prior to my refinish job, but the Porsche wheel shown is not as "polished" looking as a style 32.

#4 ·
I've tried it with Wurth, silver and gloss, didn't work. Turned yellowish after a week.
Those wheels are powder coated. I ended up taking it to the shop for powder coating. $75 a wheel - excellent results!

#7 ·
saltshaker185 said:
is power coating something you can buy and learn to use then use it for multiple other things?? like if you invest in it, it may be worth it in the end? jw
Powder coating is baked at very high temperatures

#9 ·
Powder Coating

So pwoder coating can bring new life to wheels that are ruined? Is that what I am hearing. When i bought my car (97 528), the wheels were already damaged beyond my personal repair, andI have been looking for a way to save them without buying new ones if possible.

#10 ·
ambush360 said:
So powder coating can bring new life to wheels that are ruined? Is that what I am hearing. When i bought my car (97 528), the wheels were already damaged beyond my personal repair, andI have been looking for a way to save them without buying new ones if possible.
What kind of rims does your 528 have? You may not need powder coating, which is more expensive than normal wheel refinishing techniques. Most places like WheelAmerica or Wheel Collision Center can repair damaged rims and refinish them for around $75 to $129, depending where you go and what needs to be done.

#12 ·
Eric S. said:
What kind of rims does your 528 have? You may not need powder coating, which is more expensive than normal wheel refinishing techniques. Most places like WheelAmerica or Wheel Collision Center can repair damaged rims and refinish them for around $75 to $129, depending where you go and what needs to be done.

I have the exact wheels you do, and they are in terrible shape. Almost to the point of embarrassment. They are still structurally good, but the coating id done. YOu have to understand that powder coating is a lot cheaper than buying new wheels, so $75 to $129 sounds great to me. I really want to keep the original BMW wheels that came with the auto, and if you have checked, new ones are like 2,500 euro, or $3000+.

#13 ·
ambush360 said:
YOu have to understand that powder coating is a lot cheaper than buying new wheels, so $75 to $129 sounds great to me.
If you are talking about the wheel I have, the Style 32's, then the more expensive powder coating will be required, and at Wheel Collision center it is $155 each, not $75 to $129. Since you are in Germany, I don't know whether you'd want to send them stateside; you'll probably be able to find a shop there.

In reference to your statement that you really want to keep the rims that came with your auto, I don't believe the Style 32 was the original equipment wheel on your car. This may be a European/States availability/equipment difference, but as far as I know, the Style 32's in 1999 replaced the 7-spoke that was on the 1998 and 1997 540 Sports. Whatever, I agree with your wanting to stick with them because they DO look awesome (when not peeling)!

#15 ·
Actually, the place that powder-coated my wheels in Jacksonville, it only costs $75 to do one wheel. It's not that expensive, I'm sure regular finishing/painting would cost about the same or more. You just gotta find a good place to do it at a good price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.