BMW Werkz banner

Trunk Will Not Open!!!!

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gidgaf 
#1 ·
i have a 98 e39 528i sport and i can't open the trunk. everytime i press the key to open the trunk or press the trunk button the solenoid turns but it sounds like its not gripping. i'm able to replace the solenoid but how in the hell will i open the trunk? :confused Is there an emergency switch? or a manual way to open it?

ps. i don't have the ski package or the seats fold down, so i guess i'm stuck with a sealed trunk and luckly nothing is inside that i need.

I would think that bmw would have a back up plan for a problem like this but i seem not to figure it out or something.

please help :nope

#3 ·
OK, frustrated parent of a 16 year old who locked his only key in the trunk... well, we got the keys but since we destoyed the lock and ended up fishing the key through the back seat by cutting a small hole behind back seat. NOW for the question... how do we get into the boot trunk luggage compartment (or whateve you want to call it)??? Key will no longer work in the lock and I have purchased a used replacement lock.
Can I just drill a hole through the lock? Tried just about everything else.
PLEASE HELP...

#4 ·
I know this is old and late, but ...
The lock cylinder operates a latch. Drilling out the keyhole all the way thru will also drill thru the latch. MOST of these can be unlatched thru a one inch hole drilled maybe an inch deep, with a small screw driver to turn the latch bit. The bad guys here just use a large screw driver and turn it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.