Is This True about the new 5 series - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
I went out to BMW dealers testing the water for my next 5 series; I was told it has some sort of an electronic communication signaling device via satelites in case it gets stolen. When reported stolen the dealer (or some legal entity) based on a police report will send/transmit a signal to kill the engine!!! IS THIS TRUE

Just a follow up with a second thought: if the above is true, can you imagine in another 5-10 years of BMW technology sending a signal to a 5 series to lock all doors, make a quick u turn and the I drive taking both the thief and the bimmer to the nearest police station flashing lights with full blown horns!! I will not dare to ask if this one is true..........Great car
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sleepy is an unknown quantity at this point
no it wont kill the engine but it will i dentify where your car is
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
So it is not true but it will locate the car...GPS may be? or is it the old technology of LOW JACK?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMW Europe is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to BMW Europe
Hello

Some differant stories going on about this. We import direct from BMW and have had a few stories from them

1. They can find yourcar with GPRS ( nothing new there, just a tracker system)
2. They can turn your car off. This not the best idea if some theif is going down the motorway doing 100 and they turn it off. OUCH
3. The fuel is cut. This is one of the thing we are looking into aswell.
BMW Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMW Europe

I would think BMW will not turn the car off while going down hill especially since the GPS can pinpoint the position of the vehicle and hence the terrain. I may add probably such a move (cut off engine/gas) will be coordinated with some sort of police signal as to when to do it.
regards
bill
Old 09-14-2004, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gulelin is an unknown quantity at this point
They've been able to do this with Onstar for years, it's about time BMW caught up
The dealer told me that they could not even track the car even though I have BMW assist. I don't have Nav, but i'm told the car still has a GPS.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen a TV programme showing the new anti theft/car tracking devices and it is true they are considering cutting the fuel to bring the car to a slow halt rather than just cutting the engine - another consideration is being able to remotely shut off the acceleration which would stop the car but leave the engine running to keep the auxillaries - power steering, brake servo's etc. working. This shouldn't be a problem at all since from what I gather Porsche and Mercedes Europe have been able to diagnose problems and TUNE your car while you're driving it via GPRS for some time.
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
So Bill you're seriously considering a brand new 5er???
Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Not quite beelzibub....I decided to get a used engine install it myself for the fun of it and keep the 528I cannot part with it had it since 1997..will try to modify the intake if I can...I just bought myself another vehicle though to use for work will send u pics...actually of pics of both old and new...In NJ it is crazy to commute to work with a bimmer weather wise...yesterday I just bought the new car with (5) miles on it....I tell there is no way this one will get flooded...guess what it is billy zeebub boy????? pleasure to hear from u..my wife loves the new one.
best regards
bill
Old 09-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
NOT A HONDA???

I take my hat off to you bill for daring to drop a new engine in your baby - Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Is it just the engine that's damaged though? You said the water came up to the rear ashtrays didn't you?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I doubt the sensors get damaged by water..(car wash) but yes carpet has to go unless baking soda does something...will see after taking the seats out and the rug. I may save the carpet.
Beelz.. you know that 528 means something to me and I will keep it......The other new car is not A Honda...It is 2004 Jeep Grand CHer. leather/moonroof/Quad. track ll system and the whole 9 yards. Finally I got too serious about NJ winter so I took him (since a JEEP vs. her the bimmer) to work today for the 1st time screaming my lungs out: Hey "NJ don't miss with Bill; give me all the rain and flood you got..no more low intakes though"

Note: when you get in a jeep you start noticing Daimler embodied inside a Chrysler i.e the finish on the interior/the leather/the two stick (low gear/tranny) spare tire location/10 cd changer etc etc all mercedes style. I think it is Safe and impressive for this coming winter. I am sure I will enjoy my bimmer MORE next summer with a higher intake though.
regards
Old 09-16-2004, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
To Beel z: an Update:

Got home from work and what do u know the auto wricker has delivered the used engine..1999 BMW 528 with 45,000 miles (his paper work says so) for $2200 the original quote was $1800 on a complete but stripped engine. This one is complete, it has all the vacuum hoses on it throttle body MAS etc etc I mean complete...the only thing missing is the cranck shaft sensor and I understand since it is plugged too deep on the engine.

Now on the old one: looks like the torque converter (transm.) is locked up with engine after the flood incident and while taking it out IT LOOKS LOW ON TRANSMISSION FLUID--about 1 qrt ; My ? is SHOULD I CHANGE THE FLUID OR JUST ADD?TOP IT OFF. YOU KNOW HOW MUCH CONTROVERCY RUNS AROUND CHANGING THE TRANSM. FLUID. THE LIFE TIME ADVOCATES INCLUDING THE DEALER VS. NO FLUID LASTS FOREVER PARTY- MUST CHANGE ON 100K ADVOCATES.

I am leaning towards NOT changing the fluid I do NOT want to loose the Transmission TOO!!!!
Will keep you posted...will try to finalize it this weekend (possibly wishfull thinking I got the time though
see ya soon
bill
Old 09-17-2004, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
What do you do for a living Bill???

Brand new Cherokee just like that! and a new engine for the beamer!

Can you give me a job? - Quite fancy moving to the states or Canada.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Beel z the question of changing the fluid on the tranny did not catch your attention; but the Jeep did..well I am in computers that is the job and why don't you consider relocating for a better opportunity?? I am sure here is way much less expensive than the UK plus more opportunities...........think about it
Best regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)