Trouble codes p0170 and p0135 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CindyM is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Trouble codes p0170 and p0135

I have a 1998 528i and am getting the CEL codes are reading P0170 fuel trim malfunction (bank1) and P0135 O2 sensor heater circutmalfunction(bank 1 sensor 1). What do I need to replace tt get the codes erased?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 AM
n00b

fuzzpcf is an unknown quantity at this point
fault code problems ???

hay do any of y'all yeng-yangs touch these cars under the hood or do ya just rub their bodys & have virtual sex with they ??????????????????

I've gotten better help from the Studebaker club about my old truck than I've gotten here SO FAR !!

I'm tryin to help a lady thats on a limted income get het car fixed for it will pass emissions test & all ya'll can talk about is X-BOX 360 !!!!

I thought this was a sight to acttullay help each other to keep
Break MY Windows running but I'm starting to think its more of just Beat My Wife type site

Fuzzzpcf
#3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:15 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
I have a 1998 528i and am getting the CEL codes are reading P0170 fuel trim malfunction (bank1) and P0135 O2 sensor heater circutmalfunction(bank 1 sensor 1). What do I need to replace tt get the codes erased?
check fuses and relays first... if all ok, the code points to a defective oxygen sensor. UPSTREAM sensor, cylinders 1-2-3.(Changing the 02 sensor should take care of your P0170 problem unless something else is wrong with your fuel induction system)

Good Luck.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 AM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzpcf View Post
hay do any of y'all yeng-yangs touch these cars under the hood or do ya just rub their bodys & have virtual sex with they ??????????????????

I've gotten better help from the Studebaker club about my old truck than I've gotten here SO FAR !!

I'm tryin to help a lady thats on a limted income get het car fixed for it will pass emissions test & all ya'll can talk about is X-BOX 360 !!!!

I thought this was a sight to acttullay help each other to keep
Break MY Windows running but I'm starting to think its more of just Beat My Wife type site

Fuzzzpcf
...and who might you be relative to the problem above???
#5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
n00b

fuzzpcf is an unknown quantity at this point
WHO be me

A class 8 diesel mechanic with 35 years service on D.Diesel , Cummins & CAt. engines
I'm helping out a single parent lady to get her car to pass state insp. in Texas (on fixed income)
I'm working on a strong learning curve in automotive (newer cars) to learn & fix it for her !! she ask me if I would change out the O 2 sensor as that was all that was to be needed I did and it came back with these other 2 codes & I want to get it fixed for her & if I get paid $10 for all I do that will be fine with me as they say what gose around comes around

Fuzzzpcf
#6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 PM
5th Gear Member

I appreciate you bringing your knowledge onto the forum, and look forward to sharing the technology that u have accumulated over 35yrs. However, please understand that although we are to lend a helping hand to those who share the same passion/s we have... we do have our own scheds to keep, and our lives to run.

That being said, don't expect for someone to pop up from nowhere with the answers you seek on-demand. Much as a lot of us here devote timeto help out with the probs other forum members encounter... we just cannot be there for youse 100% of the time.

Members of this forum do have varied interests too... BMW being just 1 of the many things that hold our interest. So yes, we talk about X-box, we rant and rave about another's Yamaha RD350... and once in awhile, we'll talk about a Nana in Muncie, Indiana ( a la Toby Keith...) and sometimes.. we even talk about ME! hehehehehe...

Lighten up bro... someone will be around in due time to assist you... you have my word on that ;-)
#7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 PM
n00b

round top is on a distinguished road
Help! Help! Help

I have a 2001 540I with codes PO170/PO171 also O2 heater sensor malfunction.

Cars runs fine lots of power and no hesitation. Codes come on about every 150 miles afer reset I paid $ 625 to have intake manifold gaskets replaced, MAF cleaned, vacuum /air leaks checked and still SES comes back on.

What else should I check? How does one check the O2 sensors for faulty information?

Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks
round top
#8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:11 PM
5th Gear Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by round top View Post
Help! Help! Help

I have a 2001 540I with codes PO170/PO171 also O2 heater sensor malfunction.

Cars runs fine lots of power and no hesitation. Codes come on about every 150 miles afer reset I paid $ 625 to have intake manifold gaskets replaced, MAF cleaned, vacuum /air leaks checked and still SES comes back on.

What else should I check? How does one check the O2 sensors for faulty information?

Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks
round top
you cdv spend maybe $50.- for the 02 sensor and tht wd have corrected your prob.

02 heater malfunction is a problem within the 02 sensor, and if there are no contact probs at the connector, replacement is the only remedy
#9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 01:04 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse737 View Post
I appreciate you bringing your knowledge onto the forum, and look forward to sharing the technology that u have accumulated over 35yrs. However, please understand that although we are to lend a helping hand to those who share the same passion/s we have... we do have our own scheds to keep, and our lives to run.

That being said, don't expect for someone to pop up from nowhere with the answers you seek on-demand. Much as a lot of us here devote timeto help out with the probs other forum members encounter... we just cannot be there for youse 100% of the time.

Members of this forum do have varied interests too... BMW being just 1 of the many things that hold our interest. So yes, we talk about X-box, we rant and rave about another's Yamaha RD350... and once in awhile, we'll talk about a Nana in Muncie, Indiana ( a la Toby Keith...) and sometimes.. we even talk about ME! hehehehehe...

Lighten up bro... someone will be around in due time to assist you... you have my word on that ;-)

Well said Darkhorse. Fuzz, Welcome to the forum. Please do a general search on forum etiquette. Cross posting is not OK, nor is it OK to complain and carry on because someone hasnt given you the help that you think you are entitled to. If you are looking for help then this is not the way to get it. As a moderator here let me welcome you wholeheartedly to the forum but let me also make it very clear that posts like this in the future will be deleted immediately and a warning will be issued to you. Please enjoy the forum and feel free to ask as many questions as you want just be sure to follow the forum rules and respect the other members of the forum.
With Best Regards,

DT

#10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
n00b

To Darkhorse August 8, 2008

May be not so fast..Auto zone Says P0171 code However My peake meter reads (table "OF") Code BC ...DM-TL large leak
and code 1A ...mixture control of idle Cyl 1-4.

How do we tie the data together?

The P0171 code was occurring before and after intake manifold gaskes were replaced (about every 50 to 150 miles) Also, MAf serviced and O3 sensors checked and vacuum /air leaks checked.
Wth and without code present 540I runs fine no hesitatin to 4500rpm ald lots of power.

Its driving me crazy. Any comments fot a fix?
Thanks round top
#11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:41 PM
n00b

OBDll code P0171 vs Peake Table "OF" codes BC and 1A

To darkhorse 737

Just what is a DM-Tl? Do yo know where its located andi is it an easy fix.?
#12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM
5th Gear Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by round top View Post
To Darkhorse August 8, 2008

May be not so fast..Auto zone Says P0171 code However My peake meter reads (table "OF") Code BC ...DM-TL large leak
and code 1A ...mixture control of idle Cyl 1-4.

How do we tie the data together?

The P0171 code was occurring before and after intake manifold gaskes were replaced (about every 50 to 150 miles) Also, MAf serviced and O3 sensors checked and vacuum /air leaks checked.
Wth and without code present 540I runs fine no hesitatin to 4500rpm ald lots of power.

Its driving me crazy. Any comments fot a fix?
Thanks round top
P0171 = System too Lean
- the large leak that the peak code suggests an intake leak(not necessarily gaskets, but hoses as well)

... in practice it means that your car isnt achieving the 14.7:1 air to gas ratio that the DME wishes to achieve and thus triggers ur check engine light.

SUGGESTED FIX:
-check your fuel filter; and replace as necessary.( the logic being that the less fuel entering ur system will make the DME calculate ur fuel-air ratio as "lean")

-if tht dsnt solve ur problem. change the 02 sensor that is defective. they should be replaced every 50,000 miles or so anyway;-)

RE: P0135 - am still standing by my earlier "heater malfunction" post
#13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 PM
n00b

Mramsey is on a distinguished road
how many o2 sensors on the 2001 525i
#14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:05 AM
n00b

romanfishin is on a distinguished road
4 oxygen sensors 2 pre-CAT and 2 post-CAT buy Bosch OEM at Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips for like $66 with free shipping, They are legit. If you get lucky find a muffler shop to replace them cheaper. Had mine replaced for $40 bucks.
#15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Fuzz is quiet now LOL

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)