BMW Werkz banner

Transmission

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
It's about that time when every boy says to himself, "Damn, i'm such a fruit for owning a automatic BMW"

So I sit and wonder, it's worth it to me to swap to manual. No, I'm not sellign my car and findign a stick one. This car will have to do. At 280,000 miles I think I might need a new transmission eventually. So I sit here and contemplate the costs.

Firstly, has anyone done it? I believe one or tow peopel have on these forums. I'm looking at what it's going to cost. Eventually I think ill need a new transmission, so what are the costs differences in swapping in a rebuilt or used 5 speed tranny versus the cost of just reaplcing my current tranny with a rebuilt or new transmission? Wil the pricing come out to be the same? What transmissions would fit with my m20? What would work best. I hate my current gearing ratio. I long for a stickshift BMW.

Honestly, if a manual tranny is cheaper than a auto one (parts annd labor) I would defintely do it. Would it cost more for the manual? If so I might not do it. Money is tight and ill eventually need one, auto or standard.

So, anyone else have any knowledge on it?

(selling car and getting somethign else is out of the question, dont try and convince me Ive gone over my options)

Thanks,

Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
A manual swap is likely to cost as much as the car is worth. You will need the tranny, shift linkages, mounts, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, shifter, interior trim pieces, master clutch cylinder, new brake and clutch pedals... all these parts + labor ... it adds up fast as BMW isn't the cheapest of cars with parts.

If I was you, I'd just get another automatic tranny (you can find ones with less than 100k on eBay for like 400 dollars), and run with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.