"TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG" Oh $#!&, now what? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
"TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG" Oh $#!&, now what?

With my now aging 97 540, I've hit another fairly large speedbump. Tonight I was driving from Dayton OH to St. Louis MO and had a weird series of events occur. About 10 minutes into the drive, the radio randomly shut off and turned back on, thinking it was nothing I went on. Driving 85 on the middle of nowhere Indiana my headlights, engine and everything else completely shut off for about 3 seconds. (and yes, it was damn dark) When they finally came on again the ABS light was flashing and the OBC read "TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG." I pulled to the shoulder (simultaneously hitting a semi-tire which took out part of my under-engine cover) I ended up disconnecting the battery for 60 seconds and reattaching it. All systems were now green with no transmission warning, I also scanned prior and after the battery disconnect my OBD codes which all came up clear. : What the hell is happening to my (former) dream car?

btw: it just rolled over 170,000mi

I'm getting real close to euthanizing this SOB, so any positive news would be appreciated, but if you've got bad news...I will be soon selling it off...

Last edited by ///Matt; 12-05-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:38 AM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
maybe its the area

my uncles old car (biggest pos ever) would throw on the oil light everytime in a ceraint area... its like we would pass --- booom, oil light on, few minutes later, when we would be out of the area, boom --- its off.... worked like a charm, never failed to throw on/off the oil light ... if only bimmers were like that, where that would work like a charm and booom - never electronically fail!!

umm....... alien are coming?!

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:12 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Did you notice any strange lights outside in the darkness?
Possibility of UFO's passing by up above you.....

#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
can not say for sure
such is life owning an older bmw. get used to it.
This is exactly why I have chosen BMW as my weekend beast and a Lexus as my daily driver.

My BMWs are always throwing some kind of tantrum, weather it speaks once and never comes back - or is some kind of major problem.

quirky little buggers.

good luck.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hmm, well that would explain why my seat felt a little more uncomfortable, maybe those aliens had a little too much fun with me. Oh well, I'll just do a few voodoo chants and hopefully it'll just disappear on its own...
#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Do you have a manual or automatic? I'll assume automatic?

I love my own car's eccentricities too: 600 miles after I have it serviced, it pops on the check engine light every time. It always reports after 600 miles that the fuel cap is missing. Which, of course, it isn't. Ever.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
You know - when I first got a BMW, it was all ok. I learned to live with all these wierd little things. Then - after driving another car around for a short time that just drove everytime, never beeped at me while driving, etc, etc... the BMW became ANNOYING.

It gets old after a while and it seems like every BMW out there has its OWN quirk or two, no two are alike. lol.

#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I do love my e39, and it used to be a great daily driver, but ever since I've just driven it occasionally (as my daily car is an e65) I think it's become jealous and just likes to piss me off when i do drive it.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
I do love my e39, and it used to be a great daily driver, but ever since I've just driven it occasionally (as my daily car is an e65) I think it's become jealous and just likes to piss me off when i do drive it.

Umm...forgive me, what's an e65?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
e65 - 745i
#11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:21 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
hi, i have a 94 318i and about a month ago it did something like that, stereo turning off and on, car turning off...turned out to be my alternator...
#12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
VERY interesting... I had my alternator replaced about 6mos ago...I'll be sure that it gets checked out.
#13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
n00b

unisq is on a distinguished road
I had same problem,but found the problem was alternator
#14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Talking

seriously...

clear the light.

if it doesn't come back... let's just say it was a glitch.... all computers have 'em. ;-)

RF interference... that's a possiblitiy too... (not necessarily caused by UFO's or aliens) lol
#15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Umm guys...this thread is ancient...the original poster doesn't even come here any more...

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)