In Total Suspense (shun) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 03:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up In Total Suspense (shun)

Here's a photo of the parts I'll be installing on my 1999 540/6 this week:
- Koni Sport struts
- H&R Sport springs
- All front control arms, bushings and ball joints
- Front tie rod ends
- Rear control arms, joints, and bushings
- Front & rear strut mount/bearings
- Front & rear bump stops and spring cushions
- All new self-locking fasteners

I anticipate handling prowess in excess of that of an E39 M5, considering I installed OEM M5 stabilizer/sway bars last year.

It took about a month or so to amass all of these parts (shopping for not only the best deal but also the most correct parts). Once it’s all done, I’ll be getting an alignment at the dealer before putting it on the street.

Of course, I'll provide a complete report out to all!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension Job 04-15-06.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	23528  

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Neutral Member

Jamison is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jamison
so how much did you drop on all of this?

The cheif export of Chuck Norris is pain.

'98 528i
black
auto tranny
112k miles

mods coming...
#3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 01:19 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison
so how much did you drop on all of this?
Here's the approx prices I paid:
- Koni & H&R package from Shox.com - $1040 shipped
- All front control arms, bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends - $315 package from FCP Groton
- Rear control arms, joints, and bushings - about $175-$200 total from a couple of e-Bay vendors
- Front & rear strut mounts & bump stops - $138 from getcoolparts.com
- Rear bump stops, all spring cushions, and all self-locking fasteners - $91 from the dealer

Farm-out of labor for strut spring compression work: $156 for all 4
Alignment labor at dealer when done - about $100.

So there ya go. It all began innocently as a $700 Koni project and grew from that point to where it is now...

#4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:37 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks great - should be a nice handling ride - however if you are open to suggestions, I would like to recommend some camber adjustment plates for the rear. Lowered 5s like to eat tires and the excess negative camber often makes them more prone to losing traction earlier than they should. In many cases, a lowered car has a little less road holding ability than stock although it feels better in almost every other way.

#5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:56 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0rky
Looks great - should be a nice handling ride - however if you are open to suggestions, I would like to recommend some camber adjustment plates for the rear. Lowered 5s like to eat tires and the excess negative camber often makes them more prone to losing traction earlier than they should. In many cases, a lowered car has a little less road holding ability than stock although it feels better in almost every other way.
Sporky - Thanks for the encouragement! I am a little puzzled by your comment about rear camber plates though. On the E39, rear camber is already adjustable, and in fact the spec is for up to 2 degrees of negative camber. The problem (as I see it) is in the front, which has no adjustable camber, and a spec limit of zero (no negative). Turner Motorsport sells adjustable camber plates for the front, but I believe they're at least $300, plus installation, and I am not real clear on whether adjustable Konis can still be adjusted when installed with these plates.

However, with the H&R springs and resultant little bit o' lowering, I anticipate I'll have at least a small amount of negative camber in the front (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a degree?). Since the rears are adjustable, those can be re-set to the stock parameters.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I'm aware of the e39 having adjustable rear camber, but I wasn't sure how much the H&Rs lower the e39s rear - so I wasnt sure if the camber could be brought back into spec. Thats great if its that adjustable, though.

As for the front, I don't think the little bit of negative camber that will be introduced will be much of an issue. From my experiences, tire wear has been a lot more of an issue on the rear. It also depends on how you drive though. However with a setup like yours, you might as well spend the few extra $ and get all four corners in factory spec. Also - on the e39, is the toe adjustable? I know lowering increases rear toe-in and kills tires, too. I'd like to lower my e39 soon, but I'm not as familiar with it as I am my e34s.

Anyway, keep me posted as to how it rides vs stock suspension. You have sport pkg, right? From what I have noticed I think the aftermarket suspension will be as comfy as stock sport.

Can't wait to hear a review, so hurry hurry! I love my Konis, but they are almost on full soft. haha

#7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to know how difficult is to replace the front lower & upper arms. Can't wait for your findings and good luck my friend.

LOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)