BMW Werkz banner

Torque For 540 Spark Plugs?

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
Am replacing the spark plugs in my 1999 540i with the original-type NGKs listed in my owner's manual. Torque on spark plugs in aluminum heads is always important, but I cannot find that figure anywhere in my owner's manual. Does BMW think ALL of its owners would be helplessly dealer-dependent?!? :confused Even my Honda's owners manuals specified spark plug torque!

Anyone know the required torque for spark plugs in a 1999 540i? Please help, thanks!

#2 ·
Originally posted by Eric S.@Nov 8 2004, 08:54 PM
Am replacing the spark plugs in my 1999 540i with the original-type NGKs listed in my owner's manual. Torque on spark plugs in aluminum heads is always important, but I cannot find that figure anywhere in my owner's manual. Does BMW think ALL of its owners would be helplessly dealer-dependent?!? :confused Even my Honda's owners manuals specified spark plug torque!

Anyone know the required torque for spark plugs in a 1999 540i? Please help, thanks!
[snapback]227027[/snapback]​
Eric,

Not too sure on this... I checked around the forums and came up with 18 ft/lbs for a M3. This quote is from a rather experienced user on another forum --

"Sparkplugs are not stretch-to-yield fasteners. They can be removed and reinstalled at will. the torque spec is merely to ensure a good seal in the cylinder head. 18lbs/ft will be fine with or without antisieze paste on the threads. The car won't know the difference."
-Paul

Like I said...not too sure. Check around. Any help here Members?

Jim

#4 ·
Originally posted by billB@Nov 8 2004, 11:26 PM
Eric s: This table should cover it all

Spark plug Correct Torque
10mm with Gasket…..8-11
12mm with gasket…..12-15
14mm with gasket…..19-22
18mm with Gasket…..20-23
18 mm tapered………..14-17

regards
Billb
[snapback]227113[/snapback]​
Where do you come up with this stuff -- Genius!

Good Night.

#7 ·
Originally posted by billB@Nov 8 2004, 11:26 PM
Eric s: This table should cover it all

Spark plug Correct Torque
10mm with Gasket…..8-11
12mm with gasket…..12-15
14mm with gasket…..19-22
18mm with Gasket…..20-23
18 mm tapered………..14-17

regards
Billb
[snapback]227113[/snapback]​
Bill - Thanks, I think that table is helpful, provided I can now come up with the diameter for the threads of my spark plugs. Putting 2 and 2 together, I've seen a number of 18 ft-lbs (which I thought was too low), so I guess my spark plugs' threads are 14mm and so my spec would be 19-22.

So now how much do I torque those two coil nuts (per coil) when I reinstall them? Anyone, anyone? :D

#9 ·
Originally posted by bad man working@Nov 9 2004, 04:49 PM
I'm a british BMW tech so you'll have to convert from Nm (newton meters) lbs ft
Most sprak plugs are 14mm thread and are 30Nm+/- 2 M power engine are 12mm thread and are 25Nm =/- 1 The 6mm thread (10mm across flats) nuts or bolts for the coils 10Nm Hope this helps
[snapback]227538[/snapback]​
Hey "Bad Man" - you are a Good Man as far as I am concerned because that is precisely the data I was seeking! My Craftsman torque wrench dial is calibrated in both lb-ft and N-m, so there's no problem with the SI units! :thumbs

I appreciate the help. Nevertheless, I am going to go ahead and purchase the ($$$) 2-volume bentley manual so that I'll soon be more of a knowledge SOURCE for such info, and less of an information absorber... :drool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.