Tire recommendations? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Tire recommendations?

I already need new tires, after less than one year and less than 14,000 on my OEM-type Dunlop SP2000E's. With a monthly child support payment, plus two more children and a stay-at-home-mom wife, I cannot afford to keep buying $150+ each tires every 10 or 11 months.

However, since installing my Koni/H&Rs, I am LOVING my car's handling. I was considering going with GSD3's or PS2's (as if they give those away), and I noticed Dunlop's running a $100 rebate on their highly-rated "Maxx" tires. But I just cannot swing the $700+ right now required for my staggered 255/40-17 and 235/45-17 setup.

I am THIS CLOSE (><) to getting a set of Kumho ASX's (all-season ultra-high perf). After a friend at work with an M-Roadster and a 540 highly recommended them. Their 400 treadwear rating doubles my old Dunlops, and they're actually guaranteed for 30K miles. On top of that, they're downright cheap. At the tire rack they're $97 and $89 for my sizes.

Any really strong feelings out there against the Kumhos ASX's? My second choice would be the Kunho Ecsta MX, their "Extreme Summer perf" tire or the Supra, but those are only rated at 220 treadwear so I fear I'd be shopping for tires again too soon.

I am tired of worrying about hydroplaning every time it rains because my tires are nearly slick all the time, and I drive my car in all weather. Snow is a possibility in the Winter, but if it's very much I wouldn't drive in it anyway.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
I havent heard alot of good things about the Kumhos as far as tread wear goes but that is from only a few sources. I did alot of research on the tires I recently bought, the Sumitomo HTR Z II.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=HTR+Z+II

Plenty of good reviews on them on the Tire Rack site, ranked #14 out of 47 tires in its class, 92% vs best in category. They are a 220 treadwear rated tire, like the Ecsta MX

Lots of sports car owners rave on them. Snow in Jacksonville is a once a decade or more thing and its not like it ever lasts long. From Tire Rack they were $104 each plus $30 shipping. So far, I like them alot. Sweet looking tread, seem to grip very well. I'll let you know later how they handle in rain, rainy season hasn't started here yet, but should be soon....

Jason / 1997 528i

Last edited by winters97E39; 05-21-2006 at 10:43 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Eric, if you're tight on budget, and want good value for your money...
I'd recommend the Fuzion ZRi. I have them on my car right now and so far have no complaints with traction, wet or dry. Road noise was good for the first 4 or 5k miles, but now is beginning to hear a little. But then, when I used more expensive tires before, road noise was just as bad! The lower the tires' profile, the worse the noise! After my last set which lasted only about 11-12k miles, I knew I had to look for something good that last longer. The Fuzion ZRi has a longer thread-wear rating and yet performance ratings are just as good.

So, check it out on TireRack, and read the reviews. Personally, I feel most people pay way too much for a set of Michelins or the others which are priced waaaay too high. You don't really make full use of its benefits in everyday driving, unless if you're on the track...maybe.

2012 Porsche 911 GTS
2008 Ford F150 Foose Edition
2010 VW Touareg

----------------------------------
Gone...2002 Porsche 911 C4S
Gone...2000 BMW 540i
Gone...1995 BMW 540i
#4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

thejobman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thejobman
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters97E39
I havent heard alot of good things about the Kumhos as far as tread wear goes but that is from only a few sources. I did alot of research on the tires I recently bought, the Sumitomo HTR Z II.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=HTR+Z+II

Plenty of good reviews on them on the Tire Rack site, ranked #14 out of 47 tires in its class, 92% vs best in category. They are a 220 treadwear rated tire, like the Ecsta MX

Lots of sports car owners rave on them. Snow in Jacksonville is a once a decade or more thing and its not like it ever lasts long. From Tire Rack they were $104 each plus $30 shipping. So far, I like them alot. Sweet looking tread, seem to grip very well. I'll let you know later how they handle in rain, rainy season hasn't started here yet, but should be soon....

I would just cheap out and buy the Sumitomo HTR Z ($69 and $78, respectively)

Sportbike Rear Camera Systems! www.MotionalEyes.com

1999 BMW 540i 6-speed - M Sport Package

CHECK OUT MY RIDE @ CARDOMAIN.COM!
#5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobman
I would just cheap out and buy the Sumitomo HTR Z ($69 and $78, respectively)
I would like to just jump on the Sumi's, but I cannot stand the road noise of cheaper tires. My nearly worn-out Dunlops are as quiet and smooth as the day they were first put on the car. I'll do some more research on the HTZ 2's tonight (prices for my size are higher than $69, trust me). BTW, the A/S Sumi's are not available in my size (255/40-17).

I've seen too many noise horror stories regarding the cheaper brands Such as the Fuzion, Nitto, etc. Even the Kumhos have come under fire for this, but I notice it's not as prevalent in the comments as for the others.

My other pet rock is the 200 treadwear rating of my Dunlops. I cannot be replacing tires every 11 months, and I see a 220-rated tire as not much longer lasting.

Maybe I should just buy the frappin' used Dunlops 255/40-17 SP2000E's on e-Bay?

Last edited by Eric S.; 05-22-2006 at 01:39 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Check out these reviews for the Sumitomo HTR Z
Sumitomo HTR Z reviews

The reviewers rarely complain about the road noise, rather complement the tire for being quieter than previous tires they had... On the other hand, the Sumitomo HTR Z II does have that problem.
Sumitomo HTR Z II reviews

I would not recommend buying tires from ebay, one can only imagine where that tire may have come from (defected tire dumpster behind a tire factory maybe? How many times has the tire been plugged? etc.). Remember what happened to sp0rky's beautiful e34? I am NOT saying sp0rky cheaped out on tires, I am saying that a blown tire can lead to a highway disaster. Any tire can blow at any time. You just might be increasing your risks by buying one from an unknown source on ebay!

Sorry if I came out harsh, just looking out for my fellow 5-er!

#7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Good point on the used tires. I checked out the Sumi HTZ-II and they definitely sound as though they'll get noisey on my non-rotatable staggered setup. Besides, the 255/40-17 size is $90, only $7 cheaper than the Kumhos.

I'm still going to hold off for another day or so before I buy, but I need to do something because I am really obsessing about this. That's how I was with the springs/struts project too. I go off and spend every waking moment mulling and researching... what a sickness...

#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
So far, my HTZ-IIs aren't any noiser than my stock Contis were. Of course they are brand new, but I haven't noticed any increase in noise since having them installed a month back. I do notice they are a little noiser in slow cornering than the 225/60/15's were, but the any low profile 40 will do that. As far as your regular everyday driving, the noise is just not a factor.

The tread on them is pretty sick though... gives a nice agressive look to the car, especially from behind, which is where most people see me...

just wait till i get an extra 7 grand to burn... supercharger anyone? haha

Jason / 1997 528i
#9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

That would be hot... I myself think that in maybe 2-3 year I should invest in a supercharger as well. I would cost be about $7-8k right now... maybe $1k cheaper in a few years.

It's either that or if I am having too many engine problems with the 540, I might just drop LS6 vette engine and a Z28 rear end and see how that works out. It's a long time from now I guess. All I know is I LOVE this car! And I want to hang onto it for a long time! (even if i have to change its engine!)

#10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:35 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobman
All I know is I LOVE this car! And I want to hang onto it for a long time! (even if i have to change its engine!)
Ditto for me! (with the obvious exception of an upgrade to an '03 540, and/or an M5).

#11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Ditto for me! (with the obvious exception of an upgrade to an '03 540, and/or an M5).
hell yeah... im with you there. my next one is definitely a, '03 540. I cant get into the new body style for some reason.. I mean its cool and all, but just looks to fat.. and by fat, i dont mean phat. Yes, the new V-10 M5 kicks total ass, but i'd love to see that engine in an e39.. to me the e39 is just the sexiest of them all.

Jason / 1997 528i
#12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:33 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, I am well past the wear bars on my rear tires, so today I ordered my new tires. I decided to go with 4 new Kumho ASX ("ultra-performance all-season"). Tire Rack: $97 for the 255/40-17 rears and just $89 each for the 235/45-17 fronts. I know it sounds insane after having just installed new Konis and H&R springs, but that is one of the reasons I cannot swing a new set of expensive tires right now. This way I hope to get twice the wear out of tires costing half as much. I'm willing to trade a little ultimate dry adhesion for that.

The Sumitomo A/S weren't available in my rear size, and the Toyo A/S equivalent lacked a rim protector. The ASX's seem to have it all.

I'll let you all know my impressions once they're installed, but I intend to hold off getting them installed as long as I can (maybe another week or two).

Anyone interested in my front pair of 235/45-17 Dunlop SP2000's with about 6/32" tread depth?

If cost were no object, I'd get the tires I saw on a new Lotus Elise the other day: Yoko Advans, with a treadwear rating of 50 : and about as sticky as hot bubble gum. I figure I'd go thru a set of those puppies about every 3 or 4 months...

#13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Conclusion: Not Happy With the Kumho ASX's

Installed Koni/H&R setup in April, noticed my rear Dunlop SP2000's were worn, but car at least rode smoothly (on smooth roads). Altho always happy with the SP2000's ride/perf, I finally got a set of Kumho ASX for the "All Season" factor, and had them installed on June 12th.

I immediately noticed unacceptable vibration! Took 'em back for re-balance 2 days later, and still no better. Thanks to July vacations, etc, I FINALLY complained to Tire Rack & took the 540 to Midas at 7:15 last Saturday (8/12) morning (per Tire Rack's instructions). Midas said the ASX's were 'way' out of balance, and so re-balanced them. After careful butt dyno evaluation this week, I've concluded the vibration is slightly better, but still not acceptable. Today marks the second Saturday in a row I had my a$$ at Midas at 7:15am. They re-checked the tires and said their balance machine indicated they were still in balance. (!)

I called Tire Rack once again to complain, noting that the only variable changed in June was the tires - the Dunlops had proven the new suspension to be vibration free from April until June, and I am still on my stock OEM staggered style 32's.

Upon my subsequent call to Tire Rack Customer Service, they tried to fudge and say I had the tires >90 days (it's been 87 days since my invoice date). The barely-polite TR rep also had a "hard-on" about remaining tread (it MUST be >8/32); fortunately I've only driven them 2,000 miles so I could 'check that box' too. After getting through those obstacles with the Tire Rack rep, I got them to agree to replace the Kumhos.

Here's my quandary: After this inauspicious encounter with Kumho (and two lost Saturday mornings due to visiting Midas), I want a different brand. (I also hated the flat-spotting I experienced with the ASXs.) I still have my two front Dunlops, at about 7/32 tread, so I've pretty much decided just to get two rear 255/40-17 SP2000s and call it even (TR would owe me $12). Tire Sack said OK to that but will only cover return shipping of the Kumhos, plus my original purchase price of the Kumhos (but not the original freight cost, nor the cost of all balancings).

I know GSD3's are currently on special, but after paying $1375 in July to get my AC compressor replaced (not to mention the Konis/H&Rs in April, and multiple ASX balancings), spousal tolerance is at a low point, so I'm just gonna go back to what works for me - the Dunlop SP2000s. I just wish I knew how JimLev gets so many miles out of those things, with their treadwear rating of just 200....

#14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 01:40 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
i'm persoanlly a fan of pirelli's zero nero
EXCELLENT tires, though they last about 20-25k miles

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:29 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeadman
i'm persoanlly a fan of pirelli's zero nero
EXCELLENT tires, though they last about 20-25k miles
I hear ya, Super. Unfortunately those Zero Neros are just like a lot of good tires - not available in my staggered sizes of 235/45-17 F and 255/40-17 Rear, at least according to Tire Rack's web site search.

I think if I were to go with a whole new brand at this point, it'd be the GSD3's especially since they're on sale right now, plus Goodyear is offering a $40 "cash card" with the purchase of 4. I think I'll just stick with my trusty Dunlops until I wear them out (prob next Summer or Fall), and then will be looking to score a set of those 18" style 37 M-Parallels, if I haven't shot my car by then....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)