Thrust Arm Bushings - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scotty Dangles is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any experience or heard of someone putting a pair of thrust arm bushings from a 94 BMW 750 on a 94 530i?

It seems my current stock bushings can't seem to support my larger/wider summer rims so they wear out easier and cause unwanted vibrations when I have my summer rims installed. So I figure putting on a hardier bushing will save this problem?

Any ideas here...

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 05:57 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Scotty,
I'll be replacing the bushings with urathane type material next week. Urathane is stronger than rubber. Maybe that's what you need

I'll let you know the results sometime next week.

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty Dangles@Apr 15 2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any experience or heard of someone putting a pair of thrust arm bushings from a 94 BMW 750 on a 94 530i?

It seems my current stock bushings can't seem to support my larger/wider summer rims so they wear out easier and cause unwanted vibrations when I have my summer rims installed. So I figure putting on a hardier bushing will save this problem?

Any ideas here...

Scott
[snapback]333016[/snapback]
I got them installed, and to tell you the truth they are not much different. It is a common myth that those from a 750 are stronger because the 750 is heavier etc... which is false... they are almost the same thing. If you really want strong bushings, get M5 ones.

And make sure you or your mechanic or whoever tightens them under a load... meaning just put the bolt on there, lower the car, then tighten it, or they will go again in a few thousand miles... I didn't get it done and I need them again.

#4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Apr 15 2005, 04:57 PM
Scotty,
I'll be replacing the bushings with urathane type material next week. Urathane is stronger than rubber. Maybe that's what you need

LOS
[snapback]333032[/snapback]
I thought of using those...but my mechanic thought the material would be too strong??
Please let me know how the urethane bushings feel in your car.

I have already ordered the stock bushings from a 750, they weren't anymore expensive...I'm getting them installed on Monday and the car aligned on Tuesday...the bushings will be installed with a load on them, my mechanic is extremely competent with Beemers! I'll let you know my experience with them!

As for the M5 bushings, I did mention those to the tech, he thought the 750 bushings should suffice. We will see.... :P

Cheers
Scott
#5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:32 AM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty Dangles+Apr 15 2005, 09:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scotty Dangles @ Apr 15 2005, 09:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-LOS@Apr 15 2005, 04:57 PM
Scotty,
I'll be replacing the bushings with urathane type material next week.* Urathane is stronger than rubber. Maybe that's what you need

LOS
[snapback]333032[/snapback]
I thought of using those...but my mechanic thought the material would be too strong??
Please let me know how the urethane bushings feel in your car.

I have already ordered the stock bushings from a 750, they weren't anymore expensive...I'm getting them installed on Monday and the car aligned on Tuesday...the bushings will be installed with a load on them, my mechanic is extremely competent with Beemers! I'll let you know my experience with them!

As for the M5 bushings, I did mention those to the tech, he thought the 750 bushings should suffice. We will see.... :P

Cheers
Scott
[snapback]333160[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
I agree that if you need something strong, urethane bushings (when available) will beat plain old rubber ones every time. The drawback will be more harshness (urethane doesn't "give" like rubber). The biggest potential issue is with squeaks. Urethane can be formulated to be slippery, but somehow it seems that, despite advertising to the contrary, urethane bushings have a tendency to squeak, and it can get really annoying.

I had this issue on a Corvette once with aftermarket sway bar bushings and had to take them apart and coat them with grease about once every 12 to 18 months. So the squeaking becomes less of a threat if you can more easily access the bushings to give 'em a shot of grease once in a while...

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Good info Eric. I'll mention it to the mechanic!

Thanks

LOS
#7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Scotty,

I just got back from the shop. They're were very busy and didn't want to leave the car. I don't know when I'll replace the bushings since there is no rush. But as soon as do it, I'll post it.

In regards to greasing the urathane bushings, I just found out that on older models the bushings were designed to be greased. For some reason on the new models is not required.

LOS
#8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Apr 19 2005, 11:17 AM
Scotty,

I just got back from the shop. They're were very busy and didn't want to leave the car. I don't know when I'll replace the bushings since there is no rush. But as soon as do it, I'll post it.

In regards to greasing the urathane bushings, I just found out that on older models the bushings were designed to be greased. For some reason on the new models is not required.

LOS
[snapback]334767[/snapback]
$1000 later....I have two new tie rod assemblies....and two new 750i bushings.....they also did an alignment and balanced my rims...! So expensive! But the steering is much tighter and the car rides like a dream...I'll keep you guys posted if I have any other front end problems...

Cheers
Scotty

PS - Los hope it works out for you, keep me posted!
#9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 05:21 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Had the urathane bushings installed today. I can't tell/feel the difference between rubber & urathane. The ride feels the same. As for the problem of the shaky steering wheel, is gone!

As for value/durability, it comes down to how long you plan to have your car. For rubber, you know you'll have to replace them again in 6 to 7 yrs while urathane will last longer (not quiet sure how long!)

I hope this helps to anyone getting urathane bushings for their thrust arms!!

Cost:
urathane bushings: $120 pair
rubber bushings (stock): $35 pair

installation cost:
between $150 to $280

LOS
#10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Apr 27 2005, 05:21 PM
Had the urathane bushings installed today. I can't tell/feel the difference between rubber & urathane. The ride feels the same. As for the problem of the shaky steering wheel, is gone!

As for value/durability, it comes down to how long you plan to have your car. For rubber, you know you'll have to replace them again in 6 to 7 yrs while urathane will last longer (not quiet sure how long!)

I hope this helps to anyone getting urathane bushings for their thrust arms!!

Cost:
urathane bushings: $120 pair
rubber bushings (stock): $35 pair

installation cost:
between $150 to $280

LOS
[snapback]338459[/snapback]
So which bushings did you get in urethane and where did you get them? Thanks!

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 10:17 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Upper thrust arm Urathane bushings from bavauto.com

You can shop around for a better deal. In my case, I like to get the right stuff the first time.

I can tell you this much. I saw the old ones in the car and you could tell it was time to replace them.

LOS
#12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

tacroteau can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to tacroteau
How hard is this to do yourself? how do you do it, I know mine are on there way out with the summer 19s on it. I jacked it ap and there is some play in the front end. Just would like to know whats ahead of me and how hard its gonna be to do it myself.

thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Apr 27 2005, 10:17 PM

You can shop around for a better deal. In my case, I like to get the right stuff the first time.

I can tell you this much. I saw the old ones in the car and you could tell it was time to replace them.

LOS
[snapback]338595[/snapback]
#13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by tacroteau+Apr 28 2005, 02:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tacroteau @ Apr 28 2005, 02:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>How hard is this to do yourself? how do you do it, I know mine are on there way out with the summer 19s on it. I jacked it ap and there is some play in the front end. Just would like to know whats ahead of me and how hard its gonna be to do it myself.

thanks
<!--QuoteBegin-LOS
@Apr 27 2005, 10:17 PM

LOS
[snapback]338595[/snapback]
[snapback]338865[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Well its not a question of how hard...its a question of...do you have the right tools?

I think you need a two tonne press in order to fit the bushing in and then you need tighten everything with load on. (that could be tricky...) Here check this link out...should help answer your question...

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/...n/upper_arm.htm

Cheers
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)