Throttle Not Responding....??? 99 540i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 01:37 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happpyguy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
1999 540i 6m sport....

Over the last twenty four hours, the gas pedal has stopped making the car go!! Yesterday I noticed that the first half of the pedal throw was dead and the second half of the throw only allowed half of the throttle response. This morning 3/4 of the peddal was dead and the last 1/4 only allowed a proportional amount of throttle response to the motor. Shortly there after the last 1/4 went away and now the car idles fine, but the pedal has no effect. Mechanically, the pedal seems to move and sping back fine (but the force needed to push it seems reduced).

The car starts fine and idles fine and up until the gas pedal stopped allowing the motor to receive fuel, it ran STRONG.

The SES light is NOT on, so it does not seem as though the computer is throwing any codes (though I do not have a code puller), and the 'check system' button in the instrument cluster reports that all systems are OK (whatever that means--obviously SOME system is not working!!!).

Anyone heard of this before?? ANY response would GREATLY appreciated!!!
happyguy

---1999 540i 6M ~techno violet~ Dinan S2---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 01:51 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Happyguy
Check your throttle cable. runs from pedal through the firewall connects under the throttle body. One end has a hard rubber connector/adjuster which goes bad and breaks into pieces..part cost is $9.00 to be exact at the dealer. Part number A24 05 52 35 41 163 031. Easy to replace
good luck
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 02:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
no kidding... I thought the throttle was 'drive-by-wire' and NOT controlled by a cable! Of course the cable explains why the pedal still springs back, but takes less force to depress!

I am guessing that the throttle body is hidden under the black 'shroud' (I've never removed it)... The 'hard rubber connecter' resides on the motor side or the pedal side of the cable? there is large black plastic plate under the dash that hides all of the pivot points for the pedals and would need to be removed.

Does the whole cable need to be replaced? or can I replace the connector seperately??

Currently, the car is in a parking lot about 10 miles away so I cannot easily poke and prod it. I was going to have it towed to the dealer on Monday.... but with a tad more guidance, it sounds like that can be avoided!

THANKS A TON

#4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 12:29 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
[attachmentid=14293] The upper part goes to pedal side; the threaded rubbery side to throttle
Happyguy
I am guessing that the throttle body is hidden under the black 'shroud' (I've never removed it)... The 'hard rubber connecter' resides on the motor side or the pedal side of the cable
Throttle body in 528s is not hidden under the shroud it is the whole metal piece which connects the plastic one to your intake. trace the black plastic piping from the air box when it terminates at the intake side you've reached your throttle body. The throttle cable is HIDDEN by the throttle body itself (under it if you wish) either you stick your hand under (when engine is cold of course!) to install (very tight place but it can be done) or remove the throttle body for more control.
I included a picture of the throttle cable for you. The plastic part gets connected to the engine side and hence heat and cracks.
Does the whole cable need to be replaced? or can I replace the connector seperately??
Yes the whole cable must be changed (as I told you) for NINE DOLLARS and you cannot buy it in parts. ONE WHOLE UNIT FOR $9!! take a look at the pic it will give you an idea. The brassy hook goes to the pedal; Again the rubbery part goes to the throttle body. Notice the threaded part of the rubber: This can do a great job in adjusting your IDLE contrary to what some claims that you cannot adjust the idle on your 5 series. when turned clockwise it acts as if you depressing the gas pedal and thus increasing your RPM.

P.S. Also under the throttle body You will see another cable connected to it (identical but shorter one) don't miss with it....it is your cruise control cable in fact if you trace that cable it will lead you to the final "T" connection under your throttle body. Easy enough? 15-20 minutes job for $9!!
best of luck and enjoy
billb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_Picture_023.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	13780  
#5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 01:13 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard of this before and it's definetly worth checking out. Just a little info for you happyguy, the drive by wire appeared on the new e60 5ers and is supposed to feel really weird to drive for a start - somepeople say that due to the lack of physical connection from the pedal to the throttle body means there is a LAG when you accelerate. Not driven one pwersonally so I couldn't say for sure.

Anyway like I said bills throttle adjuster is a great place to start - hope it's just this cheap part that's required.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 06:03 PM
5th Gear Member

BEEL Z

some people say that due to the lack of physical connection from the pedal to the throttle body means there is a LAG when you accelerate

I don't doubt your claim above for a second. Simply put if you completely floor the throttle say at 1500 RPM; the throttle butterflies might not completely open (no physical/cable connection) Though it will open to provide maximum acceleration without overwhelming the motor.

The computer would then automatically open the butterflies further as your RPM starts to climb and the engine can handle the additional load (in this case AIR).

This issue becomes more complicated since we don't know exactly how the throttle butterfly reacts to different inputs from the pedal. Equally important we do not know how the algorithm is constructed in the computer itself. Is the mapping 100% RPM dependant? If not how much of it is? At the end of the day we may have explained the LAG you just mentioned. EXCELLENT THINKING!
regards
billb
#7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 06:17 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Oct 24 2004, 11:03 PM
BEEL Z

some people say that due to the lack of physical connection from the pedal to the throttle body means there is a LAG when you accelerate

I don't doubt your claim above for a second. Simply put if you completely floor the throttle say at 1500 RPM; the throttle butterflies might not completely open (no physical/cable connection) Though it will open to provide maximum acceleration without overwhelming the motor.

The computer would then automatically open the butterflies further as your RPM starts to climb and the engine can handle the additional load (in this case AIR).

This issue becomes more complicated since we don't know exactly how the throttle butterfly reacts to different inputs from the pedal. Equally important we do not know how the algorithm is constructed in the computer itself. Is the mapping 100% RPM dependant? If not how much of it is? At the end of the day we may have explained the LAG you just mentioned. EXCELLENT THINKING!
regards
billb
[snapback]217541[/snapback]
LOL, like I said bill I've never actually driven one. I have no doubt that BMW have made sure the computer reacts as swiftly as possible but as you say will open the butterflies in accordance with a set criteria, engine temp, air temp, fuel economy, current revs, current speed, oil pressure etc. etc. etc. rather than just letting her take a big gulp of fuel and air and letting physics do it's stuff - all this computing must surely take even a little time no??? All I can say is, thank god Bill gates never got his wish of having all the motor manufacturers run the control computers on a cut down version of windows CE!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 06:51 PM
5th Gear Member

BEELZ
Speaking at BMW's technik about his area of interest, Dr. Jurgen Guldner, project manager of Drive-By-Wire Systems, says, "Initially, it was thought that we should see if it was feasible to electron... INTERESTING ENOUGH?
#9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 02:31 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
billB.... You are absolutely amazing!!!!!! Been away from the 'puter with some domestic issues today... Will track the part tomorrow (Monday) and let you know how it goes!

Again.... THANKS A TON for the support!

happy

#10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 02:48 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait just a minute...

Guys... remember, he has a 540, its not like the inline 6 where the intake hose goes to the side and the throttle body is in plain site. On the v8 engine, the throttle body is in-fact under the shroud at the front.

Before you go out there, be sure to bring a few tools to remove that shroud and check things out.

Good luck.

#11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 08:16 AM
5th Gear Member

Sporky
Thanks tons for the reminder somehow some what I was thinking 528I becaus I was helping other member (DOCSID with his AM radio on 528I) got a bit mixed up and overlooked the 540 bit. Confused? YES I am only HUMAN.
Regards
BILLB
#12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 01:30 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Oct 26 2004, 06:16 AM
Sporky
Thanks tons for the reminder somehow some what I was thinking 528I becaus I was helping other member (DOCSID with his AM radio on 528I) got a bit mixed up and overlooked the 540 biy. Confused? YES I am only HUMAN.
Regards
BILLB
[snapback]218757[/snapback]
No problem, I know how that goes!

We humans. lol

I wont even BEGIN to talk about the things I've been confused about / misunderstood.

#13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 02:48 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
okay.... like sporky pointed out the throttle body is under the shroud... after poking and prodding the shroud, does anyone know how to remove it?? It looks like it is held in place by some plastic 'locks' (for lack of a better term), but I do not have the 'key'. I am assuming that BMW has a special tool to remove these with? Is there a work around?

Based on billB's comments, it sounds like the replacement of the cable on the 528 is pretty straight forward. In looking at the engine bay, the 540 gets pretty crowded and access to the firewall looks pretty tight. Unfortunately I didn't get to the car until after dark and was using a flashlight to peek around.

I spoke with the parts guy at my dealer and at first he told me that there wasn't a throttle cable... that it was electronic. Based on the above comments in this thread, I reminded Mr. Parts that the e39's were cable'd and that the e60's were wired... he finally agreed, put me on hold and eventually came back to tell me that we were both right... lol... there isn't a 'cable' it is called an 'accelerator potentiometer' and goes for $340. Can anyone verify this?? seems wild that the 528 uses a $9 cable and the 540's is $340. In my back and forths with billB, it sounds like there is a potentiometer and a cable on the 528's...... do the V-8's combine these two parts??

sorry this post is soooo long.... but I am about 'this' close to towing it to the dealer and letting them bend me over. I am in the middle of a house move, my wife is going crazy because this 'wonderful' car is broken and stuck in BFE and because I refuse to take it to the dealer and because I am driving the car that I am supposed to be selling and because we are moving and basically because I am still alive and the root of all this angst she has!!! LOL

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

thanks to everyones input so far!
happyguy

#14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:51 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Happy -

I have a 1999 540i Sport and assuming we're talking about the same thing, the "shroud" thingy is easy to remove. Just press down on each of the 4 quick release "buttons" until you hear a "click", then carefully lift the plastic shroud out of the way. It's just that easy. But you need to be careful with the rubber gasket, which will try to go on an out-of-body experience. Just flip the shroud over, and the rubber gasket will slide back onto its grooves around the outside edges of the shroud. To put it back, carefully line up the "buttons" with the mounting holes (make sure the rubber gasket is behaving), and then press down firmly. You should feel/hear all 4 buttons "click" back into place. If not, just re-release the cooperating buttons and try again.

I feel your matrimonial-car pain. My otherwise understanding dear wife rolled her eyes at the first mention of a MAF problem with my car, because in my sales pitch to her (when we bought it), I stated that this particular 540i Sport was "by far the best car I had ever driven". ghead We also just relocated a mere 75 miles and $3000 (mover cost) from where we lived previously (and have two small children and a third child with an acrimonious ex), so I totally understand the bedlam with that as well. Hang in there - at least you still have that second car...

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)