Throttle Body Air Getting In Sound (whistle) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
coolkolb is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 2000 528i with 94000 miles.

When i give it gas it makes a very faint whistle sound. This happens when I am in gear or parked or neutral. It only happens for the beginning gas and if I depress very sharply it won't happen. It has been mentioned in the past it could be the throttle body now. Air is getting into the body somehow when the throttle is opened up. How would I go about testing this, and what is the priority level that I should be giving this for fixing? Is this something that needs to be fixed right away?

You have to have the window down to hear it. I can't place the sound on either side of the car. The whistle is not super loud, and sounds like air flowing out, but with a sharpness to it. It doesn't seem be affecting performance at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:56 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Coolkolb\

While engine is running spray some carb. cleaner around the suspected area/s of the throttle body...if there is a leak your idle WILL change and let you know....throttle body has 2 gaskets....an orange one between the body itself and the intake ( by the 4 bolts) and a bigger black gasket which sits in the middle of the throttle body...the first one cost is $9 the black one about $18.......

P.S. while at it spray the carb. cleaner around the intake/vacuum hoses/ the back plate etc....just to be sure..................good luck

regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
there have been like 3 recent posts about people notocing this noise. and it is the air going THROUGH the throttle body, like around the butterfly. i have also noticed that BMW's make this noise louder than other cars. i don't know exactly why but that is just how it is. while it could be a possible vacume leak if your car isn't running bad i would tend to think that it isn't. the noise is greated becasue when the t-body is closed at idle there is a lot of vacume in the intake and when the butterfly is cracked open all this vacume is exposed to an air mass with less vacume thus sucking in the air quickly and the noise is actually the air being sucked into the intake. what the air is actually going over to make the whislt noise i don't know for sure. but all cars do it just some are louder than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)