Thermostat? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Jamison is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jamison
Thermostat?

Well I took the car into the dealership to have them check a belt noise and change the oil. as soon as i get the car back and turn the heat on i notice that the car never heats up. no heat comes out of the vents regardless of temp setting or fan speed. also the car seems to take longer to warm up. it stays in lower gears longer and revs higher when cold. (more so than normal). also there is a clicking sound coming from the climate control unit. it makes the sound all the time wether car is on or not. i think it goes away if the car is on for some time. My first thought was the thermostat. Any ideas?

'98 528i
black
auto tranny
112k miles

mods coming...
Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Thermostat or Water pump really hard to diag without driving the car myself
Old 02-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
528iTdude is on a distinguished road
Check out my new post from 528iTdude. Similar problem. Did you get it fixed or find the problem?
528iTdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1999 540i
Photos:
fastshivy is on a distinguished road
Dude it is very cold up there....it may take a little longer to warm up the engine in the winter. Aside from that it sounds like you are not getting warm water flowing through your heater core....could be the heater valve or a relay/switch in the climate control. It probably is related to the clicking ...see if you can figure that out first. An engine thermostat could be stuck open, but I think you would still get some heat. Engine thermostats on well cared for Bimmers don't normally cause too much trouble. Did they fix the belt squeal? What was that about? What does the engine temp say...is it in the normal position after 10min?
fastshivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
cnn
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
cnn is on a distinguished road
Likely air in system, bleed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison
Well I took the car into the dealership to have them check a belt noise and change the oil. as soon as i get the car back and turn the heat on i notice that the car never heats up. no heat comes out of the vents regardless of temp setting or fan speed. also the car seems to take longer to warm up. it stays in lower gears longer and revs higher when cold. (more so than normal). also there is a clicking sound coming from the climate control unit. it makes the sound all the time wether car is on or not. i think it goes away if the car is on for some time. My first thought was the thermostat. Any ideas?
But replacing only the thermostat is a half-job. The cooling system has MANY MANY components that can fail (radiator, reservoir, belt, idler etc.).

I wrote this a while back. Go through it carefully:
ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM REPLACEMENT Tips and Tricks (Very Long, Enjoy!)

cnn
98 528i
cnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
528iTdude is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Cooling system tear-down

Excellent write-up. You went to great lengths to give us readers a very complete sequence of operations as to do a precise job on a cooling system overhaul. I will bleed my system tonight after work, and go from there (-10 F. expected for tomorrow). Much cheaper than calling my local BMW repair guy, and have him go through the entire system, since I am not sure anyone can be quite sure what to troubleshoot in order to get it running properly again. I will update my results, if any. Thank you! JM>
528iTdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
cnn
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
cnn is on a distinguished road
To bleed........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528iTdude
Excellent write-up. You went to great lengths to give us readers a very complete sequence of operations as to do a precise job on a cooling system overhaul. I will bleed my system tonight after work, and go from there (-10 F. expected for tomorrow). Much cheaper than calling my local BMW repair guy, and have him go through the entire system, since I am not sure anyone can be quite sure what to troubleshoot in order to get it running properly again. I will update my results, if any. Thank you! JM>
RAISE the FRONT end: like up a curb or ramps, or a few large stones etc.
As long as the Front is raised 5-6 inches, it is good.

Be patient, it takes a few cycles to be done.

When the summer comes, if I were you, I would do the entire cooling system tune-up, it prevents an over heated engine.

COOLING system tuneup: $550 parts (labor yours)
NEW ENGINE: $5-6K.

Figure it out! plus when you drive with a completely overhauled cooling system, you feel SECURED!
cnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)