BMW Werkz banner

Are There Possibilities To Boost E39 540i Motor?

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  supark 
#1 ·
:wave Hello!

I'm planning to buy e39 540i and I'd like to know if there are possibilities to boost the motor. The motor itself is quite low-tuned (i don't know if that is said right) so i wonder
if one could get all the horses out.

If somebody has good tips, I'll receive them with pleasure!!

And I'd also like to know something of its nature (what it is to drive it fast or in curves etc...)

Thanks!!

-N.K.

#2 ·
Originally posted by N.K.@Apr 10 2005, 12:54 PM
:wave Hello!

I'm planning to buy e39 540i and I'd like to know if there are possibilities to boost the motor. The motor itself is quite low-tuned (i don't know if that is said right) so i wonder
if one could get all the horses out.

If somebody has good tips, I'll receive them with pleasure!!

And I'd also like to know something of its nature (what it is to drive it fast or in curves etc...)

Thanks!!

-N.K.
[snapback]329446[/snapback]​
NK - :welcome
You are doing the right thing by doing your research before you buy, and you definitely targeting a truly great car - the E39 540. While I admit that the perception of "power" is somewhat subjective, I disagree with your statement that the 4.4L all-aluminum 4-cam 32V engine is "low-tuned", or underpowered in the E39 at 282hp, at least for its day. Power isn't the whole story, either - there's the table-flat torque curve to consider as well. With the 6-speed manual (55 pounds lighter than the automatic), the 540 is pretty darn quick in stock form, AND returns fair mpg (I get 24mpg daily average).

To answer your question more directly - there are ways to wring more power out of the beast, but compared to some other makes (notably Japanese brands) boosting power isn't cheap, nor do the "usual" methods result in much improvement. Oh, the usual tricks are available - straight-tube intakes, low-restriction exhaust, underdrive pulleys, chips - but they don't provide much power difference and usually cost more, AND create potential dreaded check-engine-light issues.

It's the same old story: "How much power do you want?" = "how much money can you spend?", but even more so because the incremental increases cost more incremental money.

The good news is that there are aftermarket solutions aplenty, so there's lots to look at and consider, even though it is expensive. Also, handling, braking, and cosmetic mods are actually reasonable, especially using aftermarket stuff. One nice feature is that the M5 exists, and so many of its goodies, notably the sway bars, retrofit to the 540 and are available for a reasonable cost from most BMW dealers. I bought an M5 rear sway for $107, while the front one is $111, plus a nominal charge for rubber bushings. The rear is an easy swap-out, whereas the front is more involved.

There are multiple, albeit expensive, supercharging options available, making 450hp and more. But this is no Chevy small-block/LT1/LS1/LS2.

I recommend you check out the following sites:
http://members.roadfly.com/kowached/welcome1.htm
www.540i6.com
http://www.zeckhausen.com/

Join the car club (BMWCCA). Great magazine, plus discounts on parts and labor at many dealers and elsewhere.

That should get you started. Come back if you have any more specific questions. :cheers

#9 · (Edited)
bgwoody said:
Big HP boost will require bigger brakes. Add them to your list.
not to be picky, but its always a smart idea to add stainless steel brake lines to those bigger brakes. add that to your list.

Eric S. - You mentioned that the M5 front and rear sway bars and bushings fit on the E39 540. Do you know by any chance that front and rear sway bars and bushings on a E34 M5 will fit on a E34 540?

#10 ·
I have a 2001, 540i with the Dinan stage 4 engine software, CAI, Throttle body and mass meter and a remus exhaust and dinan light weight flywheel and clutch assembly. My car is pretty damn fast and has great torque. Dinan claims that with their upgrades, I should have 340 HP, I would say it is closer to 310-315 HP. I have never Dynoed my car. If you truly want to get a lot more horse power, SC the car or save your money and buy an E39 M5. A lot of the upgrades or mods for the 5 series are expensive and so is the maintenance. www.beastpower.com is a great web page for upgrading a 5 series. PM me with more questions. I attached some pictures of my baby!

Attachments

#11 ·
dyami said:
not to be picky, but its always a smart idea to add stainless steel brake lines to those bigger brakes. add that to your list.

Eric S. - You mentioned that the M5 front and rear sway bars and bushings fit on the E39 540. Do you know by any chance that front and rear sway bars and bushings on a E34 M5 will fit on a E34 540?
Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the E34, so I cannot speak to the M5 to 540 sway bar swap on those!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.