Synthetic Oil? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 04:55 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DWNG715 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I heard that if you use synthetic oil for your car. You can go on 10k until your next oil change? Is that true?

I currently have a e34 525i w/ 131k miles.

will it be good to put synthetic in it?

I mean I'd pay more just to change it less.
DWNG715 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 09:24 AM
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Poquoson, VA
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
My .02 cents. I also have a Bimmer (1988 750) with over 135,000 miles on the odometer and I switched to Mobil-1, 15W-50 at 115,000 miles. I change the oil annually (yes annually) and I change the filter every 5,000 miles (I talked to the TECH people at MOBIL on my oil change routine and they said it was just fine. They do recommend if your car is under warranty to stay with the manufacturers recommendations to avoid warranty issues). A to my ride, she is over 135,000 miles, uses no oil and runs just fine.
Bear is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 09:37 AM
5th Gear Member
 
billB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by DWNG715@Dec 19 2004, 10:55 AM
I heard that if you use synthetic oil for your car. You can go on 10k until your next oil change? Is that true?

I currently have a e34 525i w/ 131k miles.

will it be good to put synthetic in it?

I mean I'd pay more just to change it less.
[snapback]254162[/snapback]
I heard the same claim too but I like to get rid of my Bimmer's dirty oil at 3000-3500. knowing A. It will last much more than 5K and B. what we pay for a qrt of oil here is nothing compared to what they pay in Europe/Germany; by the way the Jeep GC gets the same treatment. Why should I hang onto dirty oil for 10K miles? personal preference not tech.
billB is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 02:21 PM
CBA
5th Gear Member
 
CBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TORONTO, CANADA
Posts: 1,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CBA is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to CBA Send a message via Yahoo to CBA
if your bmw has been being fed synthetic from day one or in its younger years then yes keep on feeding it, but if it has no recived any syn and you want to make that transition you could be taking a risk, theres been speculation and testing done (i cant remember where i saw it) but any engine that makes that transition seems to run into problems.. My 2cents..

all you ever need for the toronto night life <a href='http://www.spotlighttoronto.com' target='_blank'>click here</a>

<img src='http://www.spotlighttoronto.com/forum/templates/DigitalDementia/images/header.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />



you know your not paying attention when this happens:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Are you refering to his Signature? oh shit, i just remembered i used my name in my sig... I just 0wn3ed myself. </div>
-Founder
CBA is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member
 
kirbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kirbanana is an unknown quantity at this point
i like to change my oil at 3-5k...gives me a chance to check stuff underneath...but im sure if the tech guys says its ok, its ok...
kirbanana is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:07 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
liquidtiger720 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to liquidtiger720
Quote:
Originally posted by CBA@Dec 19 2004, 01:21 PM
if your bmw has been being fed synthetic from day one or in its younger years then yes keep on feeding it, but if it has no recived any syn and you want to make that transition you could be taking a risk, theres been speculation and testing done (i cant remember where i saw it) but any engine that makes that transition seems to run into problems.. My 2cents..
[snapback]254301[/snapback]


those problems i believe are seals leaking and such. supposedly the old dino oil can "fill" a leak somewhere. When you switch over to syn. oil, the oil is washed out and a leak may appear.

liquidtiger720 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 10:23 AM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got off the phone to my local BMW dealers tech guy. I asked him to recommend an oil and he says they always use mobil 1 and when I said is there a chance a previous owner could have run her on Mineral he sounded very worried and said "I bloody hope not". He also stated that semi syth is the least you should put in the 6 bangers but they should ALL be run on Fully synth.

PS I find 3000miles a ridiculously low amount for an oil change - Most people here have a 6 month oil and filter change followd by a 12month full service, average annual mileage is reckoned at 12,000 miles so the minimum most people change their oil is usually 6000 miles. A lot of people only have 12mth services and when I took my peugeot in for a 12mth service I was told to come back in a year as they only require servicing every 24mths or 20,000 miles!!!. My 5er has done 7500 since the last oil change and the oil looks as good as the day it went in.
BeelZibub is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 10:50 AM
5th Gear Member
 
billB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Dec 20 2004, 04:23 PM
Just got off the phone to my local BMW dealers tech guy. I asked him to recommend an oil and he says they always use mobil 1 and when I said is there a chance a previous owner could have run her on Mineral he sounded very worried and said "I bloody hope not". He also stated that semi syth is the least you should put in the 6 bangers but they should ALL be run on Fully synth.

PS I find 3000miles a ridiculously low amount for an oil change - Most people here have a 6 month oil and filter change followd by a 12month full service, average annual mileage is reckoned at 12,000 miles so the minimum most people change their oil is usually 6000 miles. A lot of people only have 12mth services and when I took my peugeot in for a 12mth service I was told to come back in a year as they only require servicing every 24mths or 20,000 miles!!!. My 5er has done 7500 since the last oil change and the oil looks as good as the day it went in.
[snapback]254710[/snapback]
Beelz
How much does it cost to change the oil in the UK (dealers)
billB is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Keep it Copacetic
 
///M Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO ||| Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
You SHOULD NOT switch to synthetic, especially because of your high milkeage. Cars get used to the type of oil they use and any car over 100,000 will have extra difficulties running on synthetic. Keep to mineral if you want your engine to stay alive longer.

My two pennies.


1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear Member
 
schilke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
schilke is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, this aslyum is being run by the inmates today....

If you don't change your oil every 3-5K miles you'll be in for a big surprise right around 180-200K miles.

Car mfgrs know that people don't want to take care of their cars. Some yahoo's on this board are discussing whether coolant goes in the washer fluid bottle or the expansion tank, so I know the mfgrs are right.

Most people lease a new BMW because they are so friggin expensive. So most leases 2, 3, 4 years maybe? Maybe 15K, 20K a year? All that car has to last is 60-80K miles. To entice dumb people, they put fancy plastic covers on the engine so you don't have to care, and raise the oil change intervals so it doesn't seem like 'its in the shop' very often.

Today, oils and engines are so well designed, if you wanted to, you would never have to change your oil. After 80-100K though, you're engine's gonna be worth crap.

If you want your car to last, change it no more than 5K. Also, use the best stuff you can afford. It makes no difference, however, syn, blend, or dino. Good oil is good oil.

WHat's with the board today? or Is it me?

Need a new sig...

A BMW is for the soul, a Chevy is for groceries...

BAN KRAFTFAHRER!!!!
schilke is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 02:39 PM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by schilke@Dec 20 2004, 07:44 PM
Man, this aslyum is being run by the inmates today....

If you don't change your oil every 3-5K miles you'll be in for a big surprise right around 180-200K miles.

Car mfgrs know that people don't want to take care of their cars. Some yahoo's on this board are discussing whether coolant goes in the washer fluid bottle or the expansion tank, so I know the mfgrs are right.

Most people lease a new BMW because they are so friggin expensive. So most leases 2, 3, 4 years maybe? Maybe 15K, 20K a year? All that car has to last is 60-80K miles. To entice dumb people, they put fancy plastic covers on the engine so you don't have to care, and raise the oil change intervals so it doesn't seem like 'its in the shop' very often.

Today, oils and engines are so well designed, if you wanted to, you would never have to change your oil. After 80-100K though, you're engine's gonna be worth crap.

If you want your car to last, change it no more than 5K. Also, use the best stuff you can afford. It makes no difference, however, syn, blend, or dino. Good oil is good oil.

WHat's with the board today? or Is it me?
[snapback]254783[/snapback]

Sorry - don't agree, I have run cars past 150,000 and they have been alright on anuual ( 10-14000 mls) oil changes - a compression test on my old and abused cavalier showed that at 155,000 she had exactly the same compression as when she left the factory and ran as sweet as a nut. After that sort of mileage I really don't care I just get rid of them and certainly don't want to be driving my current car at 180,000 - that would be about 8 years at my current mileage.

And as I stated VERY FEW people over here bother to change at less than 6 mths and most change at 12mnths or longer - I guess we are ALL lunatics eh? or just don't agree with you maybe?

Oh - just looked through my cars service history and it has been serviced by a respected BMW dealer, oils changes were carried out at 7000-8000, I guess they were just trying to get me to buy a new one sooner eh!

Oh and Bill £35 for an oil change at the local garage, £160 for an oil service at my local BMW dealer or £60 for an oil change from a non franchised BMW dealer. Not a lot I know, but when it's not necessary (my opinion) I'd sooner spend it on something else.
BeelZibub is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Deuce is an unknown quantity at this point
Synthetics will clean out deposits and can cause problems. I lost a head gasket on my old 240z from running mobil 1 in it. Car ran like a scorched cat until it went though.

Run a high grade traditional oil in your car and a good filter (not fram) and change it on time. I do a lot of stop and go and city driving so mine gets it at 3k or just about right there. It's easy, quick and the best insurance I can think of. I'd rather do that than rebuild the motor.

2002 BMW 530i
1997 Ford Mustang GT
1995 Honda VFR 750 (For Sale)
1964.5 Ford Mustang
The Deuce is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 AM
2nd Gear Member
 
schilke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
schilke is an unknown quantity at this point
Beelz,

I think you were trying disagree with me, but in the end you just agreed with me.

Since you don't run your cars past 150K or 180K, you won't know the benefits of frequent oil changes.

As I am pushing 180K now in my e36, I am keenly aware that more care is needed to nurse my Betty past the 250K mark.

What is the tax structure on vehicles in the UK? In the US, our yearly ad velorum tax decreases as the vehicle ages..

I have heard in Japan, that the yearly tax INCREASES as the vehicle ages as an incentive for the public to keep replacing aging, polluting, vehicles.

I have heard rumors that your vehicle tax sctructure encourages you to do the same. Is that true?

Need a new sig...

A BMW is for the soul, a Chevy is for groceries...

BAN KRAFTFAHRER!!!!
schilke is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:51 AM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by schilke@Dec 21 2004, 01:30 PM
Beelz,

I think you were trying disagree with me, but in the end you just agreed with me.

Since you don't run your cars past 150K or 180K, you won't know the benefits of frequent oil changes.*

As I am pushing 180K now in my e36, I am keenly aware that more care is needed to nurse my Betty past the 250K mark.

What is the tax structure on vehicles in the UK?* In the US, our yearly ad velorum tax decreases as the vehicle ages..*

I have heard in Japan, that the yearly tax INCREASES as the vehicle ages as an incentive for the public to keep replacing aging, polluting, vehicles.

I have heard rumors that your vehicle tax sctructure encourages you to do the same.* Is that true?
[snapback]255486[/snapback]
Lol :P Guess you're right in that I would dump a car long before the mileage you spoke of!

Our vehicle road fund tax is just split into bands depending on the engine size. This is to try and achieve basically what you said by getting people to buy smaller engined (less polluting) cars.

If I had my way though, the tax would be added to the cost of fuel - which is unfortunately already heavily taxed - so the people that use the most fuel, pay the most tax. With our current system I pay more tax for my 10k miles a year in my 2.5ltr than someone that does 40k miles a year in a 2.0 ltr car - very fair huh!
BeelZibub is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear Member
 
schilke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
schilke is an unknown quantity at this point
I see your point. Does the amount you pay, per engine size, decrease as the vehicle ages, or does it stay the same?

Need a new sig...

A BMW is for the soul, a Chevy is for groceries...

BAN KRAFTFAHRER!!!!
schilke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil pan replacement Q's jk988 3-Series (E21, E30) 15 05-02-2007 07:56 PM
E32 transmission oil bimmertuner07 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper 3 03-15-2006 12:03 PM
what engine oil to put in because i dont know if its syntec or normal? träumer 3-Series (E21, E30) 3 11-01-2005 03:40 PM
Synthetic or regular oil? am4tide 3-Series (E36) 6 07-14-2004 09:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome