Switching OILS - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MEDSTUDENT87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MEDSTUDENT87
(Thread Starter)
Switching OILS

I was wondering would you guys mind giving me your thoughts? I know there have been a million threads on oil and which one to use but I currently use mobil 1 15w-50 and run it for 10k cause I do 98% highway and long trips. I was gonna switch to Pennzoil Platinum 15w-50 and was wondering would brand change be bad? I know it is bad to take a car that has always used 10w-20 synthetic and use 15w-50 conventional but is it bad to change brands? The onl;y reason I am doing this is caues Mobil 1 sued Pennzoil over the use of fully synthetic on bottle labels. Mobil 1 lost the lawsuit and found out that pennzoil is a true synthetic where as Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic. SO pennzoil is tech. superior. THANX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
If I am not mistaken, BMW suggest Mobil1 as the oil of choice. And no, switching brands is not bad if you're sticking with the same type of oil (conventional or synthetic).

Either way, don't worry about the engine ... if you change the timing belt every 50,000 miles, your m20 certainly shouldn't have a problem doing a million miles ... sounds like a cliche, but they really are bulletproof. As long as it has any kind of oil in it, and enough coolant, it will be a-ok.

#3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Your sig makes me roffle.

M20's are rock solid. Use whatever oil you believe in, you will find 100 million answers as to what is best, just use what you believe in.

#4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 PM
n00b

davido is on a distinguished road
waste of money

personally ithink using fully synth in older bms is a waste of money i used mobil 1 in my e34 but it made the cam followers very noisy ithink this was down to low viscosity of 15w on contacting bmw agent was told to use a good quality semi sinth and found this to be perfectly satisfactory.david u.k
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDSTUDENT87 View Post
I was wondering would you guys mind giving me your thoughts? I know there have been a million threads on oil and which one to use but I currently use mobil 1 15w-50 and run it for 10k cause I do 98% highway and long trips. I was gonna switch to Pennzoil Platinum 15w-50 and was wondering would brand change be bad? I know it is bad to take a car that has always used 10w-20 synthetic and use 15w-50 conventional but is it bad to change brands? The onl;y reason I am doing this is caues Mobil 1 sued Pennzoil over the use of fully synthetic on bottle labels. Mobil 1 lost the lawsuit and found out that pennzoil is a true synthetic where as Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic. SO pennzoil is tech. superior. THANX
#5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Thread is from 2007.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear Member

rashid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
If I am not mistaken, BMW suggest Mobil1 as the oil of choice. And no, switching brands is not bad if you're sticking with the same type of oil (conventional or synthetic).

Either way, don't worry about the engine ... if you change the timing belt every 50,000 miles, your m20 certainly shouldn't have a problem doing a million miles ... sounds like a cliche, but they really are bulletproof. As long as it has any kind of oil in it, and enough coolant, it will be a-ok.
Though it is an old thread but I want to correct this piece of information about the oil recommended by BMW …

BMW recommend Castrol & this is written in the BMW user manual of mt e39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)