BMW Werkz banner

Strange Problem

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  tacroteau 
#1 ·
My friend just bought a 1997 528i with 130K miles on it. He got a hell of a deal - the car is nearly mint and he paid all of $7500 for it. There is just one problem - a weird whirring/buzzing noise coming from the dashboard in the vicinity of the AC and radio controls. The noise is ALWAYS present, even when the car is turned off. Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

#2 ·
nope never encountered anything like that before. has the battery ever gone dead it could be something has shorted out and is staying on all the time. maybe one of the flap motors for the A/C. if you have digital multimeter you could perform a parasitic load test to see if anything is staying on, electrically, after the car is shut off. it sounds like it could get pricy to have fixed. just becasue there could be a lot of diagnosis time involved for the technicion to find out where and what the noise is.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Jrf786@Apr 9 2005, 02:12 AM
Mine does that all the time. Never really thought anything of it. Just a whirring noise, and nothing really seems to be wrong.
[snapback]328961[/snapback]​
You don't think having a strange noise that completely disrupts the quietness of a cabin ALL the time and possibly drains your battery is wrong?

#5 ·
Originally posted by DeathMetal+Apr 9 2005, 01:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeathMetal @ Apr 9 2005, 01:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Jrf786@Apr 9 2005, 02:12 AM
Mine does that all the time. Never really thought anything of it. Just a whirring noise, and nothing really seems to be wrong.
You don't think having a strange noise that completely disrupts the quietness of a cabin ALL the time and possibly drains your battery is wrong?
[snapback]328964[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
I dont really mind the noise. And it sounds like it is coming from around the area where the inside temp vents are at. It's not really a big deal to me is all I'm saying. It's just not a big deal to me. My battery is fine, and it has been doing that since I bought my car about 6 months ago.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Jrf786+Apr 9 2005, 04:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jrf786 @ Apr 9 2005, 04:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DeathMetal@Apr 9 2005, 01:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Jrf786
@Apr 9 2005, 02:12 AM

I dont really mind the noise. And it sounds like it is coming from around the area where the inside temp vents are at. It's not really a big deal to me is all I'm saying. It's just not a big deal to me. My battery is fine, and it has been doing that since I bought my car about 6 months ago.
[snapback]328965[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]My 1997 528i does the same thing. It has never bothered me.

#7 ·
I just discovered the same noise. Battery is fine and i dont hera it with the radio on. Everything works just fine. It probably should be a concern but I'am not worried about it.

#8 ·
My 97 528i does that too, its not loud or anything, and it only does it for 10 seconds or so after the car turns off, as it returns the hvac vent flaps back to their normal position. no big deal

:yup
Originally posted by fdeee+Apr 9 2005, 09:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fdeee @ Apr 9 2005, 09:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Jrf786@Apr 9 2005, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by DeathMetal@Apr 9 2005, 01:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Jrf786
@Apr 9 2005, 02:12 AM

[snapback]328965[/snapback]​
My 1997 528i does the same thing. It has never bothered me.
[snapback]328992[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.