Strange Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:06 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No_Fear is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Tell me...is it a 97? (just a hunch) Electrical gremlins are the killers of E39's, apparently its hit you. There is no real direct solution to your problem, but first i would try disconnecting the (-) terminal from your battery and let it set for a few minutes. That will possibly fix it for at least awhile. I've had an issue similarly with my GPS/Radio/lighting in my 97 540i
#3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
#4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:05 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
a better description of the problem might yield you some more responses....
what does the radio do? when u say board monitor do you mean the board monitor for the navigation system? what sensor are you referring to????

DT

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 12:29 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
what you are referring to as the board monitor is more commonly referred to as the instrument cluster.

sounds like possible ignition switch problem.....If u open the visor and open the mirror so that the lights come on do u get lights flickering on the instrument cluster?

DT

#7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 08:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
#8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 08:40 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by No_Fear+Dec 4 2004, 03:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(No_Fear @ Dec 4 2004, 03:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool@Dec 4 2004, 12:29 AM
what you are referring to as the board monitor is more commonly referred to as the instrument cluster.

sounds like possible ignition switch problem.....If u open the visor and open the mirror so that the lights come on do u get lights flickering on the instrument cluster?
[snapback]243186[/snapback]
what do you mean by the visor and the mirror and what are you talking about? there is no flickering and I've said what happens all the time. If you know the answer then let me know that and if you don't please there is no need for confusing me.
[snapback]243247[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

No_fear surely you are to the forum

What DT referring to is the overhead SUNVISOR when flipped it has a sliding door; when open it turns a light; very handy to females in makeup and lipstick etc!!

What DT is getting at is a serious troubleshooting process to the ignition switch and ultimately these componenets are related if it causes your INSTRUMENT CLUSTER to flicker. He is not trying to confuse you; he is a Gentleman and a Pro and I tell you (from experience) he is an authority on BMW repairs. Trust me.

wishing you good luck
billb
#9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 08:48 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 09:26 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Lets go back a bit with a fresh start:

1. Did you check all the fuses in the glove box?
2. If not Remove all the instrument cluster fuses try to turn ignition on, then off, or replace fuses if needed.
3. Do the 'cluster system test', ALL lights should lit up, ALL needles should move.
Further questions:
A. Did you do anything to the car? i.e. did you jumpstart it or possibly anything that might trip a fuse? In short did you do anything to the car prior to this problem??
B. Sometimes-working and non-working instruments, there could be loose connections to be the cause.

Let us know someone will have further suggestions and good luck
billb
#11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
#12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:40 AM
n00b

hpacc is an unknown quantity at this point
moisture in the fuse box? It sounds like there is a short or break somewhere. DT was helping you narrow it down. troubleshooting involves ruling out all possibilities until you arrive at the conclusion.

if at first it only acted up when there was moisture pressent, i would look for moisture in places that shouldn't be moist. now that it acts up all the time, i'm guessing the moisture caused corrosion. check fuses and any connectors for corroision.

my 2 cents
#13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:11 AM
5th Gear Member

hpacc thanks for the input bud
#14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:38 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
#15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 02:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)