BMW Werkz banner

Strange Problem

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  No_Fear 
#1 ·

#2 ·
Tell me...is it a 97? (just a hunch) Electrical gremlins are the killers of E39's, apparently its hit you. There is no real direct solution to your problem, but first i would try disconnecting the (-) terminal from your battery and let it set for a few minutes. That will possibly fix it for at least awhile. I've had an issue similarly with my GPS/Radio/lighting in my 97 540i

#6 ·
what you are referring to as the board monitor is more commonly referred to as the instrument cluster.

sounds like possible ignition switch problem.....If u open the visor and open the mirror so that the lights come on do u get lights flickering on the instrument cluster?

#8 ·
Originally posted by No_Fear+Dec 4 2004, 03:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(No_Fear @ Dec 4 2004, 03:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool@Dec 4 2004, 12:29 AM
what you are referring to as the board monitor is more commonly referred to as the instrument cluster.

sounds like possible ignition switch problem.....If u open the visor and open the mirror so that the lights come on do u get lights flickering on the instrument cluster?
[snapback]243186[/snapback]​
what do you mean by the visor and the mirror and what are you talking about? there is no flickering and I've said what happens all the time. If you know the answer then let me know that and if you don't please there is no need for confusing me.
[snapback]243247[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

No_fear surely you are :welcome to the forum

What DT referring to is the overhead SUNVISOR when flipped it has a sliding door; when open it turns a light; very handy to females in makeup and lipstick etc!!

What DT is getting at is a serious troubleshooting process to the ignition switch and ultimately these componenets are related if it causes your INSTRUMENT CLUSTER to flicker. He is not trying to confuse you; he is a Gentleman and a Pro and I tell you (from experience) he is an authority on BMW repairs. Trust me.

wishing you good luck
billb

#10 ·
Let’s go back a bit with a fresh start:

1. Did you check all the fuses in the glove box?
2. If not Remove all the instrument cluster fuses try to turn ignition on, then off, or replace fuses if needed.
3. Do the 'cluster system test', ALL lights should lit up, ALL needles should move.
Further questions:
A. Did you do anything to the car? i.e. did you jumpstart it or possibly anything that might trip a fuse? In short did you do anything to the car prior to this problem??
B. Sometimes-working and non-working instruments, there could be loose connections to be the cause.

Let us know someone will have further suggestions and good luck
billb

#12 ·
moisture in the fuse box? It sounds like there is a short or break somewhere. DT was helping you narrow it down. troubleshooting involves ruling out all possibilities until you arrive at the conclusion.

if at first it only acted up when there was moisture pressent, i would look for moisture in places that shouldn't be moist. now that it acts up all the time, i'm guessing the moisture caused corrosion. check fuses and any connectors for corroision.

my 2 cents

#16 ·
You might want to check the fusible link on the battery connections...
They've been known to break and cause on/off interruptions in the connection.

#18 ·
NOT the Fuse...I'm talking about the FUSIBLE LINK

Description: The traditional fusible link is a short section of wire that has a smaller diameter than the rest of the circuit. When current flow in the circuit exceeds that of the fusible link, the wire melts and interrupts the circuit. This type of fusible link is becoming quickly obsolete, as many carmakers have opted for newer technologies such as the cartridge style fuse element or maxi fuse. When a fuse link blows, it must be replaced.

Check the fuseable link which is a metal piece that is connected where your battery is connected from the wires. You should disconnect your battery and right next to it should be a black box, open it and with a screw driver unscrew the connectors. Sometimes it's broken or melted, and may cause unteruptions in the power supply. Or maybe the screws or connections are loose...?
It's a cheap replacement.

Good Luck! :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.