BMW Werkz banner

strange electrical problem

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  jperrico 
#1 ·
Took my 98 540 to the shop to help find a electrical problem and am having no luck. They shop charged me $180 and couldn't tell me what the problem was. They suggested I either let them continue or take it to BMW. Its been a progressively worse problem. First I would intermitantly lose radio function and indicators. I soon figured out that when I opened the vanity light it would cause the radio to come back on. That temp. fix stopped working too, and in addition now the brake lights stay on, the traction control doesn't operate, cruise control is non-functional, as well as the onboard computer system. Now, it seems to intermitantly come on (all systems), but it has gotten progressively worse. All the fuses are okay as are the relays (per mechanic) so I'm very frustrated. Has anyone out there ever heard of anything like this or have any suggestions? Thank you for any help or guidance.

#4 ·
you people have no idea what your talking about, I suriously doubt anyone in here has ever picked up a wrench or a voltmeter. Its so ridiculous that one person has a problem and you'll come up with these crazy reasons for it happening. I feel sorry for ya diadpaku for having to listen to these people, but I really feel sorry cause whatever dealership (if it is a dealership and not some shady tree mechanic) can't figure it out.
Now that I have trashed everyone, let me tell you what your problem is. You need the electrical portion of the lock cylinder. And for those of you who don't know what it is, its the part in the steering column that turns when you turn the key on. Just go back to the dealer and tell them to install this part, it probably won't cost anymore than $200. And to prove my crediblity I work on these cars for a living and if you did take it to a dealer, tell them to get someone who knows what their doing to work on your car, cause it is a common failure with the same complaint always.
There you go, problem solved

#6 ·
DICHEDGUY:Now that I have trashed everyone, let me tell you what your problem is

Certainly it is a pleasure to have someone like you on the forum armed with the technical knowledge you posses about BMW. But I wish to add the following:
1.While it is true many members are not mechanics proper; others have a good working knowledge of automotives either through DIY and/or are self educated by the process of trial and error.
2. These replies are by no mean the final authority of solutions to a particular BMW problems; rather it is a community forum of BMW members with good intentions trying to help each other sort out their problem. It is rather hit or miss situation; if you wish.
3. Needless to say it is a heck of a task to troubleshoot a Bimmer over the internet; Many of these members do actually take the time to read the B. manual and/or search the internet in the hope they will find a solution to another member's problem. To me this is a very noble task and does reflect the true spirit of community!
3.At times it is done by replying to a particular member's problem based on a similar/past experience, as such some members tend to site their own problems with the car and the way it was fixed (DIY, independent mechanic, dealers etc) and see if it fit the symptoms of the potential problem. All in all it is the GOOD INTENTION that counts.

Again thanks for your reply and I am positive you had the right answer.

Regards
BillB

#7 ·
I have a '98 528 with the same problem! Intermittentely my radio function and
display would go out (it is now out again).All fuses are ok. Also the vanity mirror
lights in sun visors are out also.I heard that sometimes opening vanity covers
restores radio...but when I open cover the steering wheel moves up or down.
Let me know what you do to fix it!! I have no funds for my repair yet.
Thanks!
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.